Klaus Graf claimed pole in the Pickett HPD as the American Le Mans Series made its debut at Virginia International Raceway.
In the first ALMS event since the series' 2014 merger with Grand-Am was announced, Graf set a best time of 1m35.434s in the car he shares with Lucas Luhr.
Pickett's title rival Dyson Racing was 0.932 seconds behind with Guy Smith at the wheel of the #16 Lola-Mazda, which is running KERS for the first time this weekend.
Martin Plowman took LMP2 pole for Conquest, as Level 5's Christophe Bouchut had a couple of incidents while pushing to depose the Morgan.
LMPC delivered an epic fight, with five cars in contention for pole. In the end it was settled by just 0.001s - which was all that split Colin Braun (CORE Autosport) and Kyle Marcelli (Merchant Services).
GT looked similarly close at first, until Johannes van Overbeek broke clear to earn his and the Extreme Speed team's first ALMS pole.
The Ferrari's pole margin was three tenths of a second over Dirk Muller in the lead BMW. The Corvettes were next up, with the Flying Lizard Porsche and the second BMW completing a group of six cars within 0.3s.
In GTC, Damien Faulkner took another pole for Green Hornet.
Pos Cl Drivers Team/Car Time
1. P1 Luhr/Graf Pickett HPD 1m35.434s
2. P1 Dyson/Smith/Mowlem Dyson Lola-Mazda 1m36.366s
3. P1 Marsal/Patterson/Dyson Dyson Lola-Mazda 1m37.031s
4. P2 Plowman/Heinemeier Hansson Conquest Morgan-Nissan 1m38.043s
5. P2 Tucker/Bouchut Level 5 HPD 1m38.465s
6. P2 Tucker/Diaz/Gonzalez Level 5 HPD 1m39.093s
7. PC Bennett/Braun CORE FLM 1m41.006s
8. PC Marcelli/Downs Merchant FLM 1m41.007s
9. PC Popow/Kimber-Smith CORE FLM 1m41.269s
10. PC Junqueira/Drissi RSR FLM 1m41.411s
11. PC Junco/Franchitti PR1 Mathiasen FLM 1m41.475s
12. PC Burgess/Sanchez/Lux Merchant FLM 1m42.131s
13. PC Richard/Ende Dempsey FLM 1m43.351s
14. GT Sharp/van Overbeek Extreme Speed Ferrari 1m45.988s
15. GT Muller/Summerton RLL BMW 1m46.359s
16. GT Gavin/Milner Corvette 1m46.409s
17. GT Magnussen/Garcia Corvette 1m46.497s
18. GT Bergmeister/Long Flying Lizard Porsche 1m46.583s
19. GT Neiman/Holzer Flying Lizard Porsche 1m46.601s
20. GT Muller/Auberlen RLL BMW 1m46.680s
21. GT Henzler/Sellers Falken Porsche 1m48.014s
22. GT Miller/Maassen Miller Porsche 1m48.319s
23. GT Sweedler/Bell Alex Job Lotus 1m48.940s
24. GT Brown/Cosmo Extreme Speed Ferrari 1m51.510s
25. GTC LeSaffre/Faulkner Green Hornet Porsche 1m52.426s
26. GTC Cisneros/Bleekemolen NGT Porsche 1m52.796s
27. GTC Cumming/Valiante JDX Porsche 1m53.151s
28. GTC MacNeil/Keen Alex Job Porsche 1m53.339s
29. GTC Benitez/Benitez/Bleekemolen NGT Porsche 1m53.988s
30. GTC Faieta/Avenatti Competition Porsche 1m54.828s
31. GTC di Guida/Pumpelly TRG Porsche