Jules Bianchi followed up his race one victory by taking pole position for the second Formula Renault 3.5 race of the weekend at Silverstone.
The Ferrari junior driver came out on top of a three-way scrap with Nico Muller and Robin Frijns shortly before the end of qualifying 2, which was moved to Saturday evening for this weekend as the race is scheduled to run on Sunday morning before the Silverstone 6 Hours takes place.
Muller, Bianchi and Frijns all took turns at the top, and their battle was made all the more exciting by the fact that they were running relatively close together on track.
All three improved within seconds of each other at one stage, with Bianchi and Frijns heading the Swiss driver.
Championship leader Frijns then lost his front row berth when Marco Sorensen took second just before the chequered flag came out, but Bianchi's pole position was safe.
Behind Muller, Sam Bird and Arthur Pic locked out the third row of the grid, just ahead of former champion Mikhail Aleshin and Carlin's Will Stevens.
After the chaotic first race where only 10 cars made the finish, the majority of the teams were able to get their cars repaired for second qualifying.
Only Alexander Rossi (Arden Caterham) and Anton Nebilitskiy (RFR) were unable to take part, meaning they will share the back row of the grid on Sunday.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Jules Bianchi Tech 1 1m42.638s
2. Marco Sorensen Lotus 1m42.745s + 0.107s
3. Robin Frijns Fortec 1m42.748s + 0.110s
4. Nico Muller Draco 1m42.837s + 0.199s
5. Sam Bird ISR 1m42.975s + 0.337s
6. Arthur Pic DAMS 1m43.200s + 0.562s
7. Mikhail Aleshin RFR 1m43.217s + 0.579s
8. Will Stevens Carlin 1m43.474s + 0.836s
9. Antonio Felix da Costa Arden Caterham 1m43.666s + 1.028s
10. Walter Grubmuller P1 1m43.810s + 1.172s
11. Vittorio Ghirelli Comtec 1m43.814s + 1.176s
12. Carlos Huertas Fortec 1m43.851s + 1.213s
13. Kevin Korjus Tech 1 1m43.864s + 1.226s
14. Nikolay Martsenko BVM Target 1m43.966s + 1.328s
15. Lucas Foresti DAMS 1m43.996s + 1.358s
16. Nick Yelloly Comtec 1m44.071s + 1.433s
17. Kevin Magnussen Carlin 1m44.084s + 1.446s
18. Nigel Melker Lotus 1m44.093s + 1.455s
19. Andre Negrao Draco 1m44.103s + 1.465s
20. Daniil Move P1 1m44.503s + 1.865s
21. Zoel Amberg Pons 1m44.695s + 2.057s
22. Jake Rosenzweig ISR 1m44.934s + 2.296s
23. Daniel Zampieri BVM Target 1m45.962s + 3.324s
24. Yann Cunha Pons 1m46.228s + 3.590s