Stoner admits 2012 MotoGP title hopes 'finished'
|By Sam Tremayne
||Thursday, August 23rd 2012, 14:56 GMT
Casey Stoner admits his 2012 MotoGP title hopes are 'finished' following the announcement that he will miss this weekend's Czech Republic Grand Prix.
The reigning world champion, who will retire at the end of the season, will fly home to Australia on Thursday evening to have surgery on the ankle injuries he suffered in a qualifying crash at Indianapolis.
Already 39 points behind championship leader Jorge Lorenzo, and now facing a lengthy recovery period, Stoner admitted he effectively has no chance of winning a third championship crown before he leaves the sport.
"It's disappointing news but it's finished our championship," Stoner said in a press conference at Brno.
"I've no idea when I'll be back as until we've had the surgery we won't know."
Stoner competed in the Indianapolis Grand Prix using a modified boot - and having taken painkillers before the race.
He said he had opted for surgery before Brno however after being advised that he otherwise risked permanent damage.
"The plan is to get back to Australia as we have to wait for the inflammation to go down before having surgery," he explained.
"We already have everything lined up to see what we can do and then try to get back.
"Normally my doctor doesn't have a problem with me riding with injury but as soon as he read the report he advised me against riding in Indianapolis.
"All the different reports have been the same, that I need to get off this foot as soon as I can.
"My plan is to come back hopefully a race or two before Phillip Island but I don't know.
"To have these kind of disappointments is frustrating, especially in my last year. But that's racing.
"I'm not in this championship to finish on a fairytale. I'm not always going to keep waiting for a fairytale ending."