Jason Plato set the pace in the second British Touring Car Championship free practice session at Snetterton.
The MG driver recorded the fastest ever lap of the Norfolk circuit in a BTCC car in the process and was also the only driver to break the 1m57s barrier.
Dave Newsham trailed him by just over four tenths of a second in the ES Vauxhall and practice one pacesetter Andrew Jordan rounded out the top three.
Adam Morgan improved on his free practice one time by over 1.5s as he took fourth, with Matt Neal winding up fifth. Neal's was the only works Honda in the session as his team-mate Gordon Sheddon was forced to spectate after a dramatic fire in first practice.
Sheddon's car is not expected to be rebuilt before qualifying on Saturday afternoon, but the Dynamics team is hopeful he will be able to compete on Sunday. The squad put the fire down to a burst fuel line.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Jason Plato MG 1m57.569s
2. Dave Newsham ES Vauxhall 1m58.036s + 0.467s
3. Andrew Jordan Eurotech Honda 1m58.244s + 0.675s
4. Adam Morgan Speedworks Toyota 1m58.358s + 0.789s
5. Matt Neal Honda 1m58.686s + 1.117s
6. Tom Onslow-Cole WSR BMW 1m58.733s + 1.164s
7. Rob Collard WSR BMW 1m58.874s + 1.305s
8. Daniel Welch Welch Proton 1m59.012s + 1.443s
9. Rob Austin Austin Audi 1m59.235s + 1.666s
10. Frank Wrathall Dynojet Toyota 1m59.327s + 1.758s
11. Aron Smith Motorbase Ford 1m59.814s + 2.245s
12. Nick Foster WSR BMW 2m00.005s + 2.436s
13. Jeff Smith Eurotech Honda 2m00.069s + 2.500s
14. Andy Neate MG 2m00.195s + 2.626s
15. Chris James ES Vauxhall 2m00.596s + 3.027s
16. Mat Jackson Motorbase Ford 2m00.703s + 3.134s
17. Lea Wood Central Vauxhall 2m01.553s + 3.984s
18. Ollie Jackson AmD Volkswagen 2m01.655s + 4.086s
19. Robb Holland Gilham Honda 2m01.711s + 4.142s
20. Tony Hughes Speedworks Toyota 2m02.001s + 4.432s
21. Tony Gilham Thorney Vauxhall 2m02.463s + 4.894s