Pipo Derani put Fortec Motorsport on top in a wet opening to the Masters of Formula 3 at Zandvoort.
The Brazilian left it late to set his fastest time, only moving to the top of the timesheets in the final 10 minutes of the session as he got down to a 1m46.909s.
Until that late effort times had fallen throughout the session, with top spot swapping hands several times as a consequence. No one was able to better Derani's time however, leaving him 0.182s clear at the front of the field.
Carlin's Will Buller, who won in similarly adverse conditions last weekend at Silverstone in GP3, was the early pacesetter when conditions were at their worst. He eventually finished the session second fastest, narrowly ahead of local hero Hannes van Asseldonk (Fortec) and Prema Powerteam's current FIA European F3 Championship leader Raffaele Marciello.
The Italian's team-mate Daniel Juncadella and Carlin's Carlos Sainz Jr also finished within eight tenths of Derani's benchmark, having taken turns at the top of the timesheets earlier on in the session.
Felix Rosenqvist was also in the mix in the first half of the session, although he dropped to seventh by the end, just under one second behind Derani.
Conor Daly, making his F3 debut with Double R Racing, rounded the top eight. His best, a 1m48.143s, was more than one second down on Derani.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Pipo Derani Fortec Dallara-Merc 1m46.909s
2. Will Buller Carlin Dallara-VW 1m47.091s + 0.182s
3. Hannes van Asseldonk Fortec Dallara-Merc 1m47.102s + 0.193s
4. Raffaele Marciello Prema Dallara-Merc 1m47.395s + 0.486s
5. Daniel Juncadella Prema Dallara-Merc 1m47.411s + 0.502s
6. Carlos Sainz Jnr Carlin Dallara-VW 1m47.560s + 0.651s
7. Felix Rosenqvist Mucke Dallara-Merc 1m47.836s + 0.927s
8. Connor Daly Double R Dallara-Merc 1m48.143s + 1.234s
9. Dennis van de Laar Carlin Dallara-VW 1m48.546s + 1.637s
10. Felix Serralles Fortec Dallara-Merc 1m48.774s + 1.865s
11. Alex Lynn Fortec Dallara-Merc 1m48.972s + 2.063s
12. Pascal Wehrlein Mucke Dallara-Merc 1m48.991s + 2.082s
13. Michael Lewis Prema Dallara-Merc 1m49.082s + 2.173s
14. Geoff Uhrhane Double R Dallara-Merc 1m49.620s + 2.711s
15. Sven Müller Prema Dallara-Merc 1m49.747s + 2.838s
16. Josh Webster* T-Sport Dallara-Honda 1m50.734s + 3.825s
17. Luis Sa Silva Angola Dallara-Merc 1m50.859s + 3.950s
18. Andrea Roda Jo Zeller Dallara-Merc 1m51.863s + 4.954s
19. Spike Goddard* T-Sport Dallara-Honda 1m52.694s + 5.785s
20. Sandro Zeller* Jo Zeller Dallara-Merc 1m53.309s + 6.400s
* Invitation Class