Horner says too early to write off non-Ferrari or Red Bull drivers from F1 title fight
|By Jonathan Noble||Monday, July 9th 2012, 12:48 GMT|
Red Bull says it is too early to believe the world championship battle is boiling down to a fight between itself and Ferrari, despite the recent successes of both teams.
Mark Webber's victory in the British Grand Prix means the Australian has become the second double winner of 2012, after Ferrari's Fernando Alonso achieved the same feat in the European Grand Prix last month.
With Red Bull and Ferrari alone in their fight at the front at Silverstone, there are indications that the title battle is now taking shape. But Red Bull team principal Christian Horner is less certain that is the case.
"I think it is far too early to write off anybody in this championship," he said. "You have got the two most consistent finishers leading the championship at the moment, so therefore finishing races is absolutely critical.
"But you cannot write off any of the major contenders, and there is still an awful lot of racing to be done at a lot of different circuits. We have had a very strong weekend, and it goes some way to making up for Valencia."
As well as taking delight at the win, Horner says his team is further boosted by the fact it has had the quickest car at the last two races.
"We take a lot of comfort from Valencia," he said. "We have been quick on two types of circuit now, so hopefully that bodes well for the rest of the championship.
"Ferrari was quick as well here, and Fernando's pace picked up once Mark passed him. We got the result despite the tricky conditions of qualifying and it was great to see, for the first time this year, both drivers on the podium."