Victor Carbone took pole for this weekend's Indy Lights race after triumphing in a scrappy qualifying session in Toronto.
The Sam Schmidt Motorsports driver spent the last few minutes of the session trading fastest times with team-mate Esteban Guerrieri before securing his advantage with a 1m20.2282s. A late spin by Belardi's Jorge Goncalvez denied Guerrieri a final chance to reclaim the top spot.
Thunderstorms immediately before the session was scheduled to start forced a short delay before the green flag could be waved, and the wet track posed a challenge right to the end.
Carloz Munoz (Andretti Autosport) was particularly susceptible, the Colombian being parked in accordance with series rules for triggering two red flags, while his team-mate Sebastian Saavedra also fell victim to a spin, although he was able to recover and continue.
Gustavo Yacaman (Team Moore) held the top spot for the majority of the session, prompting him to park and wait to see if anyone could challenge his time, but he was unable to improve when the track was at its least wet and finished up third, just ahead of Schmidt duo Tristan Vautier and Oliver Webb.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Victor Carbone Schmidt 1m20.2282s
2. Esteban Guerrieri Schmidt 1m20.3348s + 0.1066s
3. Gustavo Yacaman Moore 1m20.7836s + 0.5554s
4. Tristan Vautier Schmidt 1m20.9764s + 0.7482s
5. Oliver Webb Schmidt 1m21.5316s + 1.3034s
6. Peter Dempsey Belardi 1m21.8467s + 1.6185s
7. David Ostella Moore 1m22.0133s + 1.7851s
8. Sebastian Saavedra AFS/Andretti 1m22.3808s + 2.1526s
9. Jorge Goncalvez Belardi 1m23.4711s + 3.2429s
10. Juan Pablo Garcia Jeffrey Mark 1m24.4420s + 4.2138s
11. Carlos Munoz Andretti