Valentino Rossi relaxed if Dani Pedrosa's new deal closes Honda door
|By Sam Tremayne and Michele Lostia||Friday, July 6th 2012, 13:39 GMT|
Valentino Rossi says he is unconcerned that Dani Pedrosa could be set to announce a new contract with Honda's works MotoGP squad.
Rossi has been linked with a move away from Ducati amid the Desmosedici's ongoing struggles and Honda rider Casey Stoner's shock retirement.
A potential move back to Honda had been talked about, but with Marc Marquez's deal all but done, Rossi said he was indifferent to whether Pedrosa would be confirmed in the second slot.
"Pedrosa has said that he'll renew with Honda HRC here or at Mugello? I knew the Repsol team would be Pedrosa and Marquez," Rossi told Gazzetta dello Sport.
"No problem, I wouldn't have gone there anyway."
Rossi also softened his stance on Ducati's development plan over the second half of the season.
Having panned the team for having "no solutions on the horizon", he said there was at least now a plan in place in which to focus its improvements.
"We haven't managed to improve, but now we have a development plan for the second half of the season: in the tests after the Mugello race we'll try various frame set-up solutions with a new weight distribution in order to improve the Ducati's behaviour," he reported.
"Ideally we'd also test the new engine that we may introduce at the US GP, but I don't know whether it'll be ready on time. The engine worries me less than the frame set-up.
"It would be better to test it, but two laps from Franco Battaini would be enough to have an idea of its potential. More parts may be coming during the summer break."
Rossi also said he expected a few new parts at the Sachsenring, but admitted he was also looking to the forecast Sunday rain for a performance boost.
"Sachsenring 2011 was one of the toughest races, but the guys in the pits assure me they have something new for Sunday too. It's raining today and there is a chance for it to continue. Wet weather would give us a big hand."