Sebastian Vettel happy for Mark Webber to stay on at Red Bull
|By Glenn Freeman||Sunday, July 1st 2012, 12:24 GMT|
Sebastian Vettel says he would be happy for Mark Webber to stay at Red Bull beyond this year, despite admitting that he does not have a great relationship with the Australian.
Webber's future could be key to the driver market for 2013, as he is out of contract at the end of this season. He occupies one of the most desired seats on the grid at Red Bull, and has been linked to a move to Ferrari.
Vettel, who has won back-to-back world championships while the two have been paired at Red Bull, believes that they work well as a team even if they are not particularly close away from the track.
"I can understand why people are thinking that there is a problem between Mark and myself," Vettel said. "Yes, we might not be best friends, but I have no problem with him and he has no problem with me.
"We work well together and we are both trying to pull the team in the same direction. We have a similar view for the car, it's not as if one likes the set-up in the opposite way to the other.
"I think that is helping us, and so far it is working quite well. I'm not sure of his contract, but at the moment I think he is doing a very good job."
Vettel added that he does not expect to have any say in who his team-mate is, following an admission from Fernando Alonso that he does have a say over who drives the second Ferrari.
"It's Christian [Horner, team principal]'s call and the team's call, not my call," Vettel added. "I could say what I would like but I don't know if that would be taken into account."