Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Dutch GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Dutch GP sprint race and qualifying

Verstappen suffering from "flu-like" illness as Zandvoort exposes Red Bull's fundamental problems

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Verstappen suffering from "flu-like" illness as Zandvoort exposes Red Bull's fundamental problems

Why Verstappen's 2026 Mercedes contact was very different from last year's

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Verstappen's 2026 Mercedes contact was very different from last year's

F1 Dutch GP: Norris pips Russell to grab pole

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 Dutch GP: Norris pips Russell to grab pole

BTCC Donington Park: Morgan leads dominant 1-2 for Plato’s old team

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC Donington Park: Morgan leads dominant 1-2 for Plato’s old team

Why Williams problems are worse than previously known

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Williams problems are worse than previously known

BTCC Donington Park: Ingram leads practice from Doble

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC Donington Park: Ingram leads practice from Doble

LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Norris beats Russell to pole position

Formula 1
Dutch GP
LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Norris beats Russell to pole position

Bernie Ecclestone: New Jersey Grand Prix won't happen in 2013

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone says the Grand Prix of America in New Jersey is highly unlikely to take place next year

When asked by the BBC if the race would happen in 2013, Ecclestone replied: "No. Definitely, no."

The city secured a 10-year deal to host the grand prix from next year, and construction of the circuit has already begun in selected areas.

"We'll have to see, I need to go and have another look," added Ecclestone. "What I've seen up to now, and what's been going on, I'm not quite as sure as they are. If they can get it completed, and confirm to us it will be done, for sure they'll be on the calendar."

When asked if he was worried that the event will be ready in time, he said: "Yeah. Exactly."

He added: "I think everybody wants us to be there, it seems that all the politicians are happy, I don't think from that point of view there is any problem. If they get the place finished the way we want it, then I'm sure there'll be a big difference, but I don't think they will."

World champion Sebastian Vettel sampled the planned route of the circuit after the Canadian Grand Prix and the Red Bull driver said in Valencia on Thursday that organisers had not made much progress with the track.

"The circuit is not anywhere near close to being ready, but as I said it would be great," he said. "I think you can do a lot in one year. It was exactly one year since I last went to New York. They are building the Freedom Tower in Manhattan, and it's nearly done.

"If they can do that in one year, it shouldn't be a big problem to lay some Tarmac and put some fences up."

Ecclestone also denied speculation that the 2013 calendar will have 23 races, saying the plan is to keep 20 like this season.

"Not at the moment, no," he said of rumours about plans to have 23 races from next year.

Previous article No penalty for Hamilton over incident with Rosberg during Valencia qualifying
Next article Williams bullish that Maldonado can fight at the front after qualifying third in Valencia

Top Comments