Jack Harvey bounced back onto form to take a double pole position for this weekend's British Formula 3 International Series races at Rockingham.
The Racing Steps-backed driver was a clear half-second quicker than his opposition during the first half of the session. As others found chunks of time on their second sets of Cooper tyres, Harvey trimmed another two tenths to end the session with three laps faster than anyone else managed.
"The first set felt really good," said Harvey. "I felt happy and comfortable. On the second set I had a small issue with understeer but it obviously wasn't disastrous, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to go quicker."
Alongside Harvey's Carlin Dallara-Volkswagen on the grid for today's race and tomorrow afternoon's finale will sit the Fortec Motorsport Dallara-Mercedes of Alex Lynn. After topping the recent test, and going fastest in yesterday's wet sessions, the reigning Formula Renault UK champion was disappointed not to grab his maiden F3 pole, but happy to recover from a scrappy start to the session.
Similarly, Jazeman Jaafar had a difficult start to qualifying, including a spin at the Pif-Paf chicane, but moved up the order and will share the second row for races one and three with championship-leading Carlin team-mate Carlos Sainz Jr, who suffered a perplexing oversteer problem.
Harry Tincknell (Carlin) starts fifth for both races, with 2011 Rockingham winner Pietro Fantin (Carlin) and Hannes van Asseldonk (Fortec) swapping sixth and seventh for the two races.
T-Sport's Spike Goddard topped the National Class, setting identical laps for his two fastest laps.
The times remain provisional while a group of drivers, including Fantin, Tincknell and Pipo Derani, are investigated for alleged track-limits offences.
Grid for Race 1:
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Jack Harvey Carlin Dallara-VW 1m17.645s
2. Alex Lynn Fortec Dallara-Merc 1m17.841s + 0.196s
3. Jazeman Jaafar Carlin Dallara-VW 1m17.936s + 0.291s
4. Pietro Fantin Carlin Dallara-VW 1m18.076s + 0.431s
5. Felix Serralles Fortec Dallara-Merc 1m18.344s + 0.699s
6. Hannes van Asseldonk Fortec Dallara-Merc 1m18.375s + 0.730s
7. Fahmi Ilyas Double R Dallara-Merc 1m18.884s + 1.239s
8. Nick McBride T-Sport Dallara-Nissan 1m19.059s + 1.414s
9. Geoff Uhrhane Double R Dallara-Merc 1m19.257s + 1.612s
10. Spike Goddard T-Sport Dallara-Mugen* 1m20.129s + 2.484s
11. Duvashen Padayachee Double R Dallara-Mugen* 1m21.524s + 3.879s
12. Carlos Sainz Jr Carlin Dallara-VW** 1m17.906s + 0.261s
13. Harry Tincknell Carlin Dallara-VW** 1m18.038s + 0.393s
14. Pipo Derani Fortec Dallara-Merc** 1m18.916s + 1.271s
Grid for Race 3:
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Jack Harvey Carlin Dallara-VW 1m17.444s
2. Alex Lynn Fortec Dallara-Merc 1m17.650s + 0.206s
3. Jazeman Jaafar Carlin Dallara-VW 1m17.802s + 0.358s
4. Carlos Sainz Jr Carlin Dallara-VW 1m17.813s + 0.369s
5. Harry Tincknell Carlin Dallara-VW 1m17.921s + 0.477s
6. Hannes van Asseldonk Fortec Dallara-Merc 1m18.011s + 0.567s
7. Pietro Fantin Carlin Dallara-VW 1m18.072s + 0.628s
8. Felix Serralles Fortec Dallara-Merc 1m18.283s + 0.839s
9. Pipo Derani Fortec Dallara-Merc 1m18.737s + 1.293s
10. Fahmi Ilyas Double R Dallara-Merc 1m18.798s + 1.354s
11. Nick McBride T-Sport Dallara-Nissan 1m18.989s + 1.545s
12. Geoff Uhrhane Double R Dallara-Merc 1m19.112s + 1.668s
13. Spike Goddard T-Sport Dallara-Mugen* 1m20.129s + 2.685s
14. Duvashen Padayachee Double R Dallara-Mugen* 1m21.356s + 3.912s
* National class
** Time disallowed for disrespecting track limits