Ganassi driver Scott Dixon set the fastest time in the final practice session for this weekend's IndyCar race at Texas Motor Speedway.
The New Zealander topped the timing screens with a best lap of 216.139mph, with AJ Foyt's Mike Conway second-quickest at 215.340mph. Running time was cut a few minutes short after Takuma Sato's Rahal Letterman Lanigan car came to a stop on the track.
The session provided the teams with an opportunity to trial a late change to the cars' aero profile for the weekend after concerns from some drivers that too much downforce had been removed in an effort to cut out pack racing.
The series had mandated a maximum rear wing setting of minus five degrees going into the weekend, but after consultation with the drivers, tweaked the rules prior to qualifying to forbid the use of a gurney flap on the rear wing.
While the change proved popular with some drivers, others were concerned that the change was a move too far in the other direction and made the car too unpredictable, leading the series to adopt a compromise solution of permitting the gurney flap to be reintroduced, but stipulating a maximum height of 1/8 inch.
Series officials predicted that the change would return a little more than half of the downforce that had been removed earlier in the day. The cars are still expected to be short of the downforce required to run an entire lap flat.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Scott Dixon Ganassi DW12-Honda 24.2344s
2. Mike Conway Foyt DW12-Honda 24.3233s + 0.0889s
3. Alex Tagliani Herta DW12-Honda 24.3460s + 0.1116s
4. Takuma Sato Rahal DW12-Honda 24.4161s + 0.1817s
5. Ryan Briscoe Penske DW12-Chevy 24.4163s + 0.1819s
6. Graham Rahal Ganassi DW12-Honda 24.4970s + 0.2626s
7. Will Power Penske DW12-Chevy 24.5481s + 0.3137s
8. Dario Franchitti Ganassi DW12-Honda 24.5664s + 0.3320s
9. Ed Carpenter Carpenter DW12-Chevy 24.5839s + 0.3495s
10. Josef Newgarden Fisher DW12-Honda 24.5905s + 0.3561s
11. Marco Andretti Andretti DW12-Chevy 24.6126s + 0.3782s
12. EJ Viso KV DW12-Chevy 24.6412s + 0.4068s
13. JR Hildebrand Panther DW12-Chevy 24.6935s + 0.4591s
14. James Hinchcliffe Andretti DW12-Chevy 24.7121s + 0.4777s
15. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti DW12-Chevy 24.7164s + 0.4820s
16. Helio Castroneves Penske DW12-Chevy 24.7260s + 0.4916s
17. Charlie Kimball Ganassi DW12-Honda 24.7745s + 0.5401s
18. Justin Wilson Coyne DW12-Honda 24.7855s + 0.5511s
19. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt DW12-Honda 24.7988s + 0.5644s
20. Rubens Barrichello KV DW12-Chevy 24.8296s + 0.5952s
21. James Jakes Coyne DW12-Honda 24.8822s + 0.6478s
22. Tony Kanaan KV DW12-Chevy 24.8858s + 0.6514s
23. Oriol Servia Panther/DRR DW12-Chevy 24.9654s + 0.7310s
24. Katherine Legge Dragon DW12-Chevy 25.1512s + 0.9168s
25. Simona de Silvestro HVM DW12-Lotus 27.4152s + 3.1808s