World Touring Car Championship leader Yvan Muller produced a last lap effort to knock comic book character Michel Vaillante - or rather RML Chevrolet team-mate Alain Menu sporting contact lenses and dyed hair - from the top spot in the second free practice session at Algarve.
Swiss racer Menu edged out Muller for first place shortly after the mid-way mark of the half hour session, recording a lap 0.071 seconds ahead of the triple world champion. The Frenchman left it until his last run to offer a response, but Muller's fastest time of 1m55.590s remained over a second slower than Lukoil Racing's Gabriele Tarquini's benchmark time from free practice one.
Lukoil's Slovakia Ring polesitter Aleksei Dudukalo held third for much of the session before being bumped down to fourth by Salzburgring victor Rob Huff. The Briton intended to work on long race runs ahead of the session, but had the pace to make it three factory RML Chevrolets in the top three.
Russian Dudukalo finished a tenth ahead of fifth placed team-mate Tarquini. Franz Engstler took the honour of top BMW runner, the German set an early lap of 1m56.301s which secured sixth spot.
Bamboo Engineering's Pasquale di Sabatino was a late improver to leap up the order to ninth, behind local hope Tiago Monteiro (Tuenti Racing).
After contending with power steering gremlins but finishing 10th in practice one, James Thompson's Lada Granta ended the final practice session in 19th.
BMW runners Alberto Cerqui (ROAL) and Gabor Weber (Zengo) suffered quick spins but both were able to resume action.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Yvan Muller Chevrolet 1m55.590s
2. Alain Menu Chevrolet 1m55.910s + 0.320s
3. Rob Huff Chevrolet 1m56.067s + 0.477s
4. Aleksei Dudukalo Lukoil SEAT 1m56.135s + 0.545s
5. Gabriele Tarquini Lukoil SEAT 1m56.239s + 0.649s
6. Franz Engstler Engstler BMW 1m56.301s + 0.711s
7. Norbert Michelisz Zengo BMW 1m56.406s + 0.816s
8. Tiago Monteiro Tuenti SEAT 1m56.491s + 0.901s
9. Pasquale di Sabatino bamboo Chevrolet 1m56.624s + 1.034s
10. Stefano D'Aste Wiechers BMW 1m56.651s + 1.061s
11. Darryl O'Young Special Tuning SEAT 1m56.674s + 1.084s
12. Tom Coronel ROAL BMW 1m56.743s + 1.153s
13. Alex MacDowall bamboo Chevrolet 1m56.791s + 1.201s
14. Pepe Oriola Tuenti SEAT 1m56.821s + 1.231s
15. Gabor Weber Zengo BMW 1m56.854s + 1.264s
16. Tom Boardman Special Tuning SEAT 1m56.898s + 1.308s
17. Mehdi Bennani Proteam BMW 1m56.907s + 1.317s
18. Alberto Cerqui ROAL BMW 1m56.934s + 1.344s
19. James Thompson Lada 1m57.031s + 1.441s
20. Charles Ng Engstler BMW 1m57.834s + 2.244s
21. Tom Chilton Arena Ford 1m58.002s + 2.412s
22. James Nash Arena Ford 1m58.155s + 2.565s