He was a champion in British Formula 3, European F2 and an F1 driver for Lotus, Tyrrell, Toleman and Arrows. Yet today the name Brian Henton barely registers an acknowledgement in discussions or lists of great British racing drivers.
An on/off coruscating presence in F1 from 1975 to 1983, Henton had perhaps the best CV of any British driver from that period. What is more, most of the people that worked with him, including one of the most decorated engineers/designers in F1, attest to a significant talent.
"Brian was one of the best I ever worked with, no doubt about it," says Rory Byrne, who worked with Henton at Toleman from 1978-'81. "He had the talent to win GPs and maybe even more if circumstances had allowed. Brian was all about drive, skill and ambition."
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.