There's a saying in motorsport: 'When the flag drops, the bullshit stops'. And we're getting very close to that point in Formula 1 right now.
Over the past few weeks we've seen the press releases and comments from teams and drivers, either from the likes of Mercedes playing down its chances despite emerging as clear favourite, or from Red Bull and co, trying to minimise the severity of their own dire situations.
As a team member, I've been there and despite what is said officially, you know in your own mind exactly where you stand.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.