For a species that has, for better or worse, shaped and scarred the planet, bending it to its will, and relentlessly pursued life-changing technological marvels that outstrip the imaginations even of those one generation older, human beings have a curious distrust of change.
The desire to preserve the status quo, or better still hark back to a halcyon, usually fictional, past is hardwired into homo sapiens. No matter how much we like to believe we are immune to it, all of us have at times drifted into the mob mentality and Luddite outlook.
What has this got to do with Formula 1? Everything, it seems, judging by the past couple of months of howling derision about the direction of grand prix racing.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.