The 2013 Formula Renault 3.5 season was a battle of the Formula 1 juniors. And in a reversal of this year's F1 fortunes, it was McLaren that took a one-two ahead of Red Bull.
While Antonio Felix da Costa had entered the season as favourite for the title, a returning Kevin Magnussen and rookie star Stoffel Vandoorne had shown more than enough in testing to suggest they would be in the fight.
The top three engaged in a thrilling wheel-to-wheel battle in the opening laps of race two on the opening weekend at Monza, but from there it was Magnussen and Vandoorne who led the way in the points battle, before the Dane built up an untouchable head of steam in the final few races.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.