You can't be successful in any elite sport if you're too conservative. In Formula 1, where the difference between success and failure is measured in fractions of a second, that is doubly true.
The mob mentality is by nature conservative, which is why so few sporting entities thrive when managed by a large committee. This brings us to social media, effectively the 21st century digital manifestation of the mob.
It's all too easy to bemoan the 'modern' age. Doing so is as old as human nature itself. Actually, social media platforms such as Twitter are a great thing, but they are inevitably overwhelmed by those who shout loudest.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.