It might not necessarily be the Red Bull Suzuka walkover pretty much everyone is expecting.
But it probably will be.
The ray of hope for some competition to Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber came in the form of a 13-lap run by Nico Rosberg's Mercedes on Friday afternoon. On the option medium tyre, Rosberg's average was 1m39.0s, while on shorter 'long' runs both Vettel and Webber were in the high 1m39s.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.