Sebastian Vettel could become world champion in Japan this weekend, but even Red Bull admits he probably won't - as that requires Fernando Alonso to finish no higher than ninth.
Suzuka has become synonymous with championship deciders, although in historical terms it still trails Monza for the accolade of hosting the most title clinchers. Twelve seasons were decided at Monza - mostly in Formula 1's early days when it was towards the end of the calendar - compared to 11 at Suzuka.
But unless Alonso has a rare disaster, 2013 is likely to join the shorter list of titles that could have been sealed at Suzuka, but weren't...
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.