Vettel under pressure
It was no surprise to see Sebastian Vettel on pole position at a circuit widely expected to be Red Bull territory. What did shock was how much he struggled during free practice, forcing Red Bull to break Formula 1's Friday night curfew for the first time this season to work on his car, and the fact that he was only 0.163 seconds clear of Lewis Hamilton in qualifying. There are two ways to look at this.
Firstly, it's a sign that the gap to Red Bull has been closed, as traditionally its qualifying dominance has not translated into anything like the same advantage on Sunday afternoon.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.