Click to view our fantastic subscription offers

Instant access to the F1 paddock

You have 5 views remaining

You have read 15 stories this month. After 20, you will need to register or subscribe.

Register with us for free to view 30 stories a month.

Or subscribe to AUTOSPORT+ for unlimited news stories and access to our exclusive subscriber-only content.

Our commitment to quality journalism

We've introduced metered access to AUTOSPORT which will ensure that the majority of our visitors can continue to view the site for free. But we think that is worth a small investment from those who use it most, so that we can continue to send the leading experts in their field to motor racing paddocks all over the world to break the latest news and produce the most compelling interviews and race reports.

Every visitor gets 20 free page views per month. Once you reach the limit you can register to get 30 views or choose one of our value-for-money subscription packages to continue viewing and to get additional access to a range of features including:

  • Unlimited access to AUTOSPORT with news and views from the paddock
  • Enjoy AUTOSPORT+: subscriber-only analysis, comment and top-quality pictures
  • Get AUTOSPORT magazine in a digital format on your computer or iPad every week
  • Full access to FORIX - the world's best motorsport statistics website

We greatly appreciate your continued support to keep AUTOSPORT at the forefront of motorsport coverage, and we look forward to welcoming you as a new subscriber.

Andrew Van de Burgt
Editor in Chief

autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
F1 NEWS 

F1 teams happy for Bahrain Grand Prix to go ahead

Team principals meeting, China, 2012Formula 1 teams say they are happy for the Bahrain Grand Prix to go ahead, after receiving reassurances from Bernie Ecclestone in China on Friday.

Representatives from all the teams met with Ecclestone in the break between first and second practice to discuss the Bahrain situation - as moves were made to clear up queries they had.

Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner said that the ending of speculation about the matter was welcome - with teams having been told by the FIA earlier in the day that the Bahrain GP was definitely on.

"I think it's clear," said Horner. "The confusing thing has been uncertainty, so I think for everybody here in the paddock now it's clear that there will be a race in Bahrain next week."

Williams director Toto Wolff, who attended the meeting for the Grove-based team, told AUTOSPORT: "We have to rely on competent people. The FIA issued a statement relying on people there, and competent people. They say it is safe; safe for teams, safe for F1, and that is why we go full steam ahead to Bahrain.

"I am happy to take the team to Bahrain. I have to balance out what information I get and, at the moment, it seems to be competent information. And you have to, at a certain stage, rely on that information. I would rather go for [information from] competent people being there, rather than Facebook."

Wolff said that the meeting had been positive, and that it was good to get some dialogue with Ecclestone about the situation there.

"The teams expressed I would not say concern, but they wanted to know whether everything we heard was right, and we have to rely on this."

Although Ecclestone insisted that there were no problems in Bahrain, Horner did say that his outfit would be taking extra safety precautions.

"I think we take the security of all our employees very carefully and, so inevitably, as with other races, sometimes extra precautions are taken," he said.

"We'll do our best to ensure that all our guys and girls are in a secure environment, and I don't doubt that for a moment. I think the statement from the FIA is clear and you are looking at thousands of people attending that race, not just Red Bull Racing."

British GP competition
Subs
  More news  
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the autosport.com shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
  FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON
FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON TWITTER
Paddock insight from group F1 editor Jonathan Noble
Grand Prix news updates from F1 editor Edd Straw
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed
  RELATED STORIES
Bahrain rules out cancelling grand prix
Bahrain boss expects no problems at all
Bahrain welcomes FIA decision
Time to stop speculation - Ecclestone
Bahrain happy with India date swap
Turkish GP loses 2012 calendar slot
Austin welcomes November date
Teams want rethink on revised calendar
F1 season opener keeps March 18 slot
2012 calendar set for major overhaul
Todt says 2012 will have 20 races
2012 F1 calendar unveiled with 21 GPs
Haymarket