Gene Haas' Formula 1 team entry delayed until 2016
|By Gerhard Kuntschik and Ben Anderson||Friday, June 6th 2014, 20:26 GMT|
Guenther Steiner has confirmed the new American Formula 1 team set up by Gene Haas will join the grid in 2016 rather than next season.
NASCAR team co-owner Haas had been looking at joining the field as soon as 2015, having secured an entry from the FIA earlier this year.
But Haas said at the time he had the option to defer until 2016 if necessary, and Steiner confirmed during a visit to the Canadian Grand Prix that Haas will take up this option.
The squad is expected to work with Italian single-seater constructor Dallara to build its first car, while Ferrari looks to be the most likely option for a customer engine supply, but this has yet to be formally agreed.
Ex-Red Bull technical director Steiner, who will be team principal for the new outfit, confirmed Haas' expanded headquarters in Kannapolis, North Carolina, will open in three months time.
The team has yet to make any decision on a possible driver line-up, but when asked if Stewart-Haas NASCAR driver Danica Patrick was in the frame, he said: "Not more than anybody. But you know, everything is possible."
Steiner added that former Indy Racing League and NASCAR Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart, who co-owns Haas' NASCAR outfit, would not be involved in the F1 project.
"Tony wants to earn money in racing, and Gene wants to spend it," Steiner said.
This week's AUTOSPORT magazine contains an analysis of the challenges facing Haas' project and gets the verdicts of those who have tried setting up new F1 teams in recent years