Double points Formula 1 rule unlikely to change
|By Edd Straw and Jonathan Noble||Tuesday, January 14th 2014, 11:39 GMT|
Lotus boss Eric Boullier has played down the possibility of a swift rethink over Formula 1's controversial double points idea, despite a fan backlash.
Although teams have been summoned to a rules summit with the FIA next week, AUTOSPORT has learned that the double points issue is not being viewed as a priority.
Despite an overwhelming majority of fans being against the double points gimmick, Boullier says that the criticisms of it have not led to any impetus among team bosses to make a change.
And with it now needing unanimous support for a climbdown on the rule, only a push from every team principal will result in a in any change being made before the start of the 2014 campaign.
"To be honest, I'm very neutral on this," Boullier told AUTOSPORT. "In our case, it can change everything in the championship in the last race.
"It's true that it's a little bit of a change in philosophy, it gives a lot of credit to the last race and it does not reward the hard work of a full year.
"But this has been decided. It went through.
"Maybe there will be more discussions about it, but I have no idea. To be honest, I am quite easy on this one."
Although it is understood that the double points issue has not been singled out for talks next week, there is still a chance it could at least be discussed by teams.
Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo said at the end of last year that although his team had voted in favour of the idea in December's F1 Strategy Group meeting, he was not in favour and suggested that the rule could be ditched for 2015.
"There has been this decision to give a lot of points at the last race, but I am not enthusiastic about it," he said. "It looks too much artificial. We will see."