Mikko Hirvonen calm ahead of crunch rally to decide Citroen future
|By David Evans||Wednesday, June 26th 2013, 11:09 GMT|
Mikko Hirvonen says he will put his tough start to the World Rally Championship season behind him when he drives to save his place in the Citroen team on next month's Rally Finland.
The troubled Finn still has less points this year than his team-mate Sebastien Loeb, who has only started three of the seven rounds run so far.
Hirvonen's contract with Citroen is up at the end of this season and team principal Yves Matton says he will consider driver options after Finland.
"Sometimes you have a period where nothing works and I'm still there," said Hirvonen.
"Now I concentrate on Finland where we can have a fresh start and forget the past. We can be in a good place there and go flat out."
He insisted he remained calm over his future.
"I am not confirmed for next year. I think it's the same for everybody," said Hirvonen.
"For me I feel I have really good pace. For sure, people are seeing things in different ways, but I know what is going on.
"I have made some mistakes and struggled with many things, but I am just going to carry on and concentrate on the next rallies."
While confirming he would take two frontline rather than pay-drivers next year, Matton would not be drawn on Hirvonen.
"It's a little bit too early to talk about Mikko's contract - the option is not up yet," he said.
"I will think in the summer and decide after Finland. But, I will have to think about the philosophy of my drivers for next year – it's not just about Mikko or not Mikko."