I have to be most proud of the 1955 Mille Miglia, which I did in a production car - the Gullwing Mercedes-Benz 300SL.
I finished fifth overall from a starting line-up of over 500 cars. I was only beaten by four racing cars, and won the Grand Touring Class.
To get that overall finish in a production car could not have been predicted beforehand, even by the most optimistic person - and that includes myself!
It was a fierce battle with Olivier Gendebien. He was, by my reckoning, possibly the best long-distance driver ever.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.