Ferrari still want revenue discussions
|By Jonathan Noble||Saturday, December 20th 2008, 13:51 GMT|
Ferrari are adamant that the distribution of commercial revenue in Formula One remains a key area for revaluation in the future, despite criticisms directed at their president Luca di Montezemolo by the sport's commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone this morning.
In an interview in The Times, Ecclestone launched an open attack on di Montezemolo who, in his role as chairman of the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA), had said that teams deserved a larger share of the sport's commercial income.
"In terms of revenue, we want to know more about them," said di Montezemolo earlier this week. "Theoretically, like in other professional sports, like basketball in the USA, we can have a league made by us and appoint a good league manager to run our own business. Because it is our own business.
"We want to know the revenues better so we can decrease the cost of the tickets. Then we have the matter of traditional tracks rather than exotic tracks just because they have a nice skyline. We have to discuss the show. How to promote. I'm not prepared any more to have all this dictated to us by outside without any control."
Those comments did not impress Ecclestone, who felt Ferrari should be the last team to complain because of a special financial package they have as a result of their historical importance to the sport.
Despite Ecclestone's aggressive stance, Ferrari have stuck firm to their belief that a fairer distribution of revenue for teams is essential as the next step in shoring up the future. However, the team are keen not to get involved in a war of words with Ecclestone.
"We have nothing to say about the comments from Mr. Ecclestone that were published in The Times today," said a Ferrari spokesman. "However, the topic of revenue is of the highest importance in F1 at this time."