Q & A with Rally GB's Andrew Coe

Wednesday's launch of the 2009 Rally Great Britain was overshadowed by the news that the deal between the event and the Welsh Assembly Government had collapsed. Rally GB chief executive Andrew Coe talks AUTOSPORT through the current situation for Britain's round of the World Rally Championship

Q & A with Rally GB's Andrew Coe

Q. I thought an agreement had been reached between Rally GB and the Welsh Assembly Government. If that has fallen through, does that mean it is back to square one?

Andrew Coe: It does, because we're still trying to resolve the issue. As far as we're concerned the World Motor Sport Council meeting in June addressed all of the issues that the WAG had in terminating the agreement. We're keen to resolve those issues, but as of today we have not been able to do that and we have been left with no option but to launch Rally Great Britain.

Q. Could that change? Could the deal be back on and we could have Wales Rally Great Britain next week?

AC: Unfortunately, that's not a question we can answer. Unless the issue is resolved, we will pursue Rally Great Britain as the title.

Q. How do you feel about this: the deal was done, the MSA was going to get back the £1.5 million it had put up to make sure the event ran this year and now it's off again...

AC: While I understand you talk to people, unfortunately a deal is never done until it's done and it was just a little premature to have said [the deal was done]. Having said that, we remain open to resolving the issue. We hope that can be achieved. We had a deadline today, with the launch already having been delayed by - in effect - three months, we had hoped matters would be resolved. We have not been able to do that, but we had a duty to the commercial side of the event. We had to put tickets on sale as soon as possible.

Q. What's the future of this event in Wales? Presumably the MSA can't fund it every year...

AC: Who knows. It's very difficult to look to the future clearly. We hope the issue will be resolved by the end of the year, either through sensible resolution or through the courts. We're confident 2010 will be in Wales or we'll move somewhere else. We've been looking at both options for some time now.

Q. How confident are you of running a 'Wales' Rally GB this year?

AC: It's impossible to say. The way the last four to five months have gone, it's been up and down, I wouldn't even hazard a guess. Whatever happens, though, this will be a good event. It's underwritten by the MSA and none of this changes what we have planned this year's rally. In some ways, we can now put the issue of legal matter into something of a box and say: 'That's something for the lawyers to take care of.'

Q. This has been a very significant story in Wales. How do you feel that the talk of Rally GB has focused on that story rather than the event itself?

AC: This is what we're hoping to do today. We want to focus on the launch and the big news from the event. Personally, I'm hoping we no longer have to talk about the other issue. The good news is that we're now moving on and leaving it for the lawyers to deal with. We're dealing with the good news and it's rather ironic that this year of all years we've resolved what has clearly been one of the key issues for the event - the infrastructure and the service park. This service park [in Cardiff] is unquestionably going to be one of - if not the - best in the world. It's fabulous.

By the time it comes to October and we kick this event off formally, all the other issues will be behind us. We're crossing our fingers and hoping the [World Rally Championship] goes down to the wire. For us, as organisers, we're focused on running a traditional event with a very high quality service park. Hopefully that's what people will write about. The other issue is a distraction; it's almost difficult to find any more to write about that.

Q. On that positive note, why has it taken so long to get the service park to Cardiff?

AC: It's really about doing what's best for the event. We were actually quite happy with the arrangement for some time [when service was based in Felindre, Swansea] before moving the event to SA1. We were keen to give it a try, it is a prestigious site. It's fair to say, SA1 didn't develop as quickly as we had believed it would, partly due to the current economic situation we find ourselves in; there was still building work going on when we were there which we were not aware would be the case when we elected to move from Felindre to SA1. The move here to Cardiff is, logistically, a better move for the event. Strategically, it was the right thing to do.

Q. With your talk of an increased focus on the event, does that mean you are withdrawing from the legal process?

AC: No. I'll still talk to the lawyers about where we are, there is still a legal case going on. But the deadline that we set ourselves of today - in launching the event - is something of a watershed. We had to take a decision yesterday, literally yesterday. We either went with Wales Rally Great Britain if we thought there was a strong possibility of resolution and Rally GB if that wasn't the case. The judgement is that it's Rally Great Britain, as of today.

Q. What derailed it this time?

AC: I can't talk about that. It's not appropriate. It's unfortunate, we had discussions, and all I can say is that we weren't able to reach a solution which was good for both sides.

Q. And what about the potential move to the north. We've heard meetings have taken place already, can you tell me any more about that?

AC: To be honest, again, I can't comment on that at all. We are looking at various options for this event. Until something firmer is in place, it would be inappropriate to comment. It's very sensitive.

shares
comments
Wales Rally GB deal collapses again
Previous article

Wales Rally GB deal collapses again

Next article

Alen confirms Finland entry

Alen confirms Finland entry
Load comments
How WRC legend Ogier will be remembered by his peers Plus

How WRC legend Ogier will be remembered by his peers

After winning his eighth WRC title, Sebastien Ogier has drawn the curtain on his full-time rallying career. To understand Ogier's legacy, many of his former rivals, team-mates and colleagues have shared their thoughts on a vastly successful career

WRC
9 h
Ranking lost WRC legend Richard Burns' 10 best rallies Plus

Ranking lost WRC legend Richard Burns' 10 best rallies

Richard Burns was a determined driver who took on the best rally drivers in the world during a boom period in the early 2000s, and beat them. On the 20th anniversary of his crowning glory in winning the 2001 WRC title, and 16 years on from his death on the same date, Autosport picks out his 10 greatest drives

WRC
Nov 25, 2021
The internal focus that made Burns a legendary world rally champion Plus

The internal focus that made Burns a legendary world rally champion

At the turn of the millennium, WRC was full to the brim with rallying's great and good - and 20 years ago on this day, Richard Burns became England's first world rally champion. Although Burns' natural talent drove him to the top, his steely determination and mental strength was the key attribute behind his title-winning form

WRC
Nov 25, 2021
How Ogier emerged out of Loeb's shadow to form his own WRC legend Plus

How Ogier emerged out of Loeb's shadow to form his own WRC legend

OPINION: Adding an eighth WRC title to his name, Sebastien Ogier has bowed out from full-time rallying in style. Having been compared throughout his career with nine-time champion Sebastien Loeb, Ogier has convincingly demonstrated that he can stand on his own as one of the greatest rally drivers in history

WRC
Nov 22, 2021
How confronting self-doubt drove Ogier to become a WRC legend Plus

How confronting self-doubt drove Ogier to become a WRC legend

This weekend's Rally Monza marks the end of an era in the World Rally Championship, as Sebastien Ogier prepares to bring down the curtain on his full-time career with an eighth title. For all his enduring success, the Toyota driver reveals in an exclusive interview that lingering insecurities have compelled his quest for perfection

WRC
Nov 18, 2021
The third generation McRae on his way to the WRC Plus

The third generation McRae on his way to the WRC

The McRae family name is steeped in rallying history, with eight British titles between Jimmy, Colin and Alister - plus the small matter of the 1995 WRC title too. Next on the conveyor of talent is Alister's 17-year-old Max McRae, who’s setting out in Australia to conquer the world of rallying and return the famous name to the WRC...

WRC
Nov 12, 2021
Inside Hyundai’s radical approach to prepare for the WRC hybrid era Plus

Inside Hyundai’s radical approach to prepare for the WRC hybrid era

As the World Rally Championship undergoes its biggest shift in regulations for a generation, teams are taking radical measures to prepare for its new era. Hyundai's unique approach involved conducting a private 1500km rally in Italy and Autosport went to see how the team is preparing for 2022

WRC
Nov 4, 2021
How Neuville stole the show from Ogier vs Evans slugfest in Spain Plus

How Neuville stole the show from Ogier vs Evans slugfest in Spain

While all pre-event chat focused on the two World Rally Championship title fighters, their closest challenger charged into the spotlight on Rally Spain. Thierry Neuville's star turn and another strong drive from Elfyn Evans in his fight with Sebastien Ogier made for an intriguing event as the 2021 campaign nears its crunch point

WRC
Oct 18, 2021