Magnussen to make Le Mans return in JMW's Ferrari GTE

Ex-Formula 1 driver Jan Magnussen will return to the Le Mans 24 Hours next month after a late call from the British JMW Ferrari squad

Magnussen to make Le Mans return in JMW's Ferrari GTE

The former McLaren and Stewart F1 driver, who lost his full-time drive with Corvette Racing at the end of last season, will contest the rescheduled round of the World Endurance Championship on 19-20 September in the GTE Am class in what is set to be his 21st participation in the event.

The four-time Le Mans class winner will share the team's Ferrari 488 GTE Evo together with Americans Richard Heistand and Max Root.

Magnussen, who had been left without a seat for Le Mans after the High Class Racing LMP2 squad had to scratch its second entry, told Autosport that he had received the offer to join the team out of the blue at the weekend.

"I got a call from Christian Kuhn, who looks after one of the drivers [Root], asking if I could help him out by doing Le Mans with them," said Magnussen.

"My reply was, 'hell, yes'.

"The two other drivers are both new to Le Mans, so they need someone who can guide them."

Magnussen revealed that he is unlikely to get a chance to test the JMW car ahead of the start of practice on the Thursday of Le Mans week.

"There may be the chance of a shakedown, but certainly not a proper test," he explained.

"I've been sent the manual and it's 53 pages, so I've got a lot of homework."

Magnussen, who is racing in the Danish Touring Car Championship this year, has raced a Ferrari in the past: he drove a 458 GT3 in the International GT Open series back in 2013.

He made 15 participations at Le Mans with the Corvette Racing factory Chevrolet squad and also failed to start in 2015 after an accident in qualifying.

Carlin withdraws

The British Carlin squad has withdrawn its LMP2 Dallara from what would have been its maiden Le Mans assault.

The team has scratched the Dallara-Gibson P217 due to have been driven by Ben Barnicoat, Jack Manchester and an unnamed third driver for the same financial reasons that have prevented it from racing in the opening rounds of the European Le Mans Series.

Team boss Trevor Carlin told Autosport: "Our sponsors have had to withdraw for COVID-related business reasons; there's nothing more to it than that.

"The Automobile Club de l'Ouest [Le Mans organiser and WEC promoter] have been really supportive and helped us in every way possible to be there.

"Our intention is to return and we are prepared to do whatever it takes to earn the right to go."

Carlin conceded that it was looking unlikely that the team will be able to return to the ELMS with the Dallara this season.

The withdrawal of Carlin has reduced the Le Mans entry to 59 cars.

That's one down on the 60 announced last month and the 62 revealed in February.

shares
comments
Bahrain WEC finale moved forward by a week after F1 scheduling change
Previous article

Bahrain WEC finale moved forward by a week after F1 scheduling change

Next article

Le Mans winner Tandy set to return in Algarve Pro-run LMP2 with Jarvis

Le Mans winner Tandy set to return in Algarve Pro-run LMP2 with Jarvis
Why the WEC should make space for modern garagistes in 2023 Plus

Why the WEC should make space for modern garagistes in 2023

OPINION: There is plenty of excitement over the glut of manufacturers tackling the Hypercar class of the World Endurance Championship this season. The selection committee is set to face headaches over who it decides to admit and who gets turned away from the 2023 entry list, but history tells us that the smaller entrants have a place

WEC
Jan 9, 2023
Autosport writers' most memorable moments of 2022 Plus

Autosport writers' most memorable moments of 2022

The season just gone was a memorable one for many of our staff writers, who are fortunate enough to cover motorsport around the world. Here are our picks of the best (and in some cases, most eventful) from 2022

Formula 1
Dec 31, 2022
Is Qatar the price motorsport fans have to pay? Plus

Is Qatar the price motorsport fans have to pay?

OPINION: Fresh from hosting a controversial 2022 football World Cup, Qatar has added its name to the 2024 World Endurance Championship calendar. Although questions may be asked about its presence on the calendar, is it simply the price to pay for having a healthy racing championship?

WEC
Dec 21, 2022
How Toyota defeated Alpine for the 2022 WEC title Plus

How Toyota defeated Alpine for the 2022 WEC title

Toyota #8 trio Brendon Hartley, Sebastien Buemi and Ryo Hirakawa outscored their rivals in the last season before the World Endurance Championship’s top class gets ultra-competitive. Here's how their Hypercar battle with Alpine and the remaining class tussles played out in LMP2, GTE Pro and GTE Am

WEC
Dec 5, 2022
The long road to convergence for sportscar racing's new golden age Plus

The long road to convergence for sportscar racing's new golden age

The organisers of the World Endurance Championship and IMSA SportsCar Championship worked together to devise the popular new LMDh rule set. But to turn it from an idea into reality, some serious compromises were involved - both from the prospective LMDh entrants and those with existing Le Mans Hypercar projects...

IMSA
Nov 25, 2022
How Porsche's Le Mans legend changed the game Plus

How Porsche's Le Mans legend changed the game

The 956 set the bar at the dawn of Group C 40 years ago, and that mark only rose higher through the 1980s, both in the world championship and in the US. It and its successor, the longer-wheelbase 962, were voted as Autosport's greatest sportscar in 2020 - here's why

WEC
Aug 25, 2022
Why BMW shouldn't be overlooked on its return to prototypes Plus

Why BMW shouldn't be overlooked on its return to prototypes

OPINION: While the focus has been on the exciting prospect of Ferrari vs Porsche at the Le Mans 24 Hours next year, BMW’s factory return to endurance racing should not be ignored. It won't be at the French classic next year as it focuses efforts on the IMSA SportsCar Championship, but could be a dark horse in 2024 when it returns to La Sarthe with the crack WRT squad

Le Mans
Aug 21, 2022
The problem sausage kerbs continue to cause Plus

The problem sausage kerbs continue to cause

Track limits are the problem that motorsport doesn't seem to be able to rid itself of. But the use of so-called 'sausage kerbs' as a deterrent has in several instances only served to worsen the problem, and a growing number of voices want to see action taken

Formula 1
Jul 18, 2022