Darwin Supercars double-header to go ahead as planned amid COVID spike

The Darwin Supercars double-header is set to go ahead despite the Northern Territory adding Brisbane and some surrounding areas to its COVID-19 hot spot list

Darwin Supercars double-header to go ahead as planned amid COVID spike

News of the fresh hot spot decelerations, which came into effect at 12:01am local time, cast significant doubt over the future of the two Darwin rounds, with a number of personnel based in the Brisbane area - including series points leader Scott McLaughlin.

Supercars asked any affected team personnel to leave Brisbane last night, before crunch talks with NT government officials took place today.

The result of those talks is that teams will be able to leave Queensland and enter the Territory on Monday as planned.

The only exceptions are any personnel that have visited a specific list of locations around the Brisbane area linked to cases.

Transporters are set to leave the Queensland bases over this weekend, with a Supercars charter flight expected to transport team personnel on Monday.

The Darwin rounds will be held over the 8-9 and 15-16 August and weekends.

Personnel from various Supercars teams, including McLaughlin, have since fled Brisbane following the recent hot spot declaration from the Northern Territory.

Nine of the 10 Supercars teams are currently in south east Queensland preparing to head to the Territory, with Monday marking the 14-day mark since leaving the Sydney hotspot.

While the majority are based around the Gold Coast and therefore aren't directly affected by the new directive, there are some key exceptions.

Should the Darwin double-header not have been able to take place, races at Queensland Raceway could have been brought forward to fill the gap.

That would require the Ipswich venue installing the additional safety measures Supercars uses for temporary approval from Motorsport Australia, as the track isn't permanently licensed by the primary governing body.

A Motorsport Australia spokesperson told Autosport last week that, despite some key staff including Supercars race director Tim Schenken being stuck in locked down Melbourne, getting the necessary approvals for QR would unlikely have posed a problem.

"Alterations will need to be made in order for the track licence to be valid," said the spokesperson.

"As per previous years, the circuit safety installations will need to comply with the FIA circuit licence requirements."

shares
comments
Supercars monitoring teams who may have been exposed to COVID-19 in Queensland
Previous article

Supercars monitoring teams who may have been exposed to COVID-19 in Queensland

Next article

Darwin Supercars: De Pasquale claims maiden win in opener

Darwin Supercars: De Pasquale claims maiden win in opener
Load comments
Ranking the top 10 Supercars drivers of 2021 Plus

Ranking the top 10 Supercars drivers of 2021

It may have been a one-man title fight in Supercars this season, but behind dominant champion Shane van Gisbergen were some fascinating performances. Autosport picks out the best drivers of the 2021 campaign.

Supercars
Dec 10, 2021
The well-travelled racer now Supercars' elder statesman Plus

The well-travelled racer now Supercars' elder statesman

James Courtney has been around the block in his motorsport career it's fair to say. After a single-seater career cut short, he's won everything there is to win in Supercars. Following a rocky ride recently in the Australian category, he's found a happy hunting ground with Tickford Racing, as Andrew van Leeuwen explains

Supercars
Oct 19, 2021
How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star Plus

How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star

His decision to leave Brad Jones Racing was the biggest shock of the Australian Supercars silly season so far. But for Nick Percat, it comes as the culmination of a personal journey that has made him into one of the most rounded drivers in the series, now in search of a seat that can make him a champion

Supercars
Sep 16, 2021
Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8 Plus

Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8

On the face of it, picking an 18-year-old rookie to replace arguably the greatest Supercars driver of all time is a risky move. But as Jamie Whincup takes up a team principal role and hands his car to Broc Feeney, it's one that he is confident will be rewarded in the fullness of time - time which wasn't afforded to Whincup in his early days

Supercars
Aug 31, 2021
How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle Plus

How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle

With Supercars’ Gen3 era on the horizon, a shift is set to take place – in more ways than one – but, as has become clear in recent weeks, the plan to bin the stick and use paddles with electronic assisted shift has been met with fierce opposition

Supercars
May 23, 2021
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Plus

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

OPINION: Roger Penske's operation helped lift Dick Johnson's faltering Ford team back to the top of Australian tin-tops. But, despite The Captain's departure, along with star driver Scott McLaughlin, there's no reason to expect an imminent decline from DJR

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Why Whincup's next move is no calculated gamble Plus

Why Whincup's next move is no calculated gamble

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But the team's outgoing boss Roland Dane has full faith that he'll be up to the task

Supercars
Feb 5, 2021
The top 10 Supercars drivers of 2020 Plus

The top 10 Supercars drivers of 2020

In a year of few constants, the Australian Supercars championship could be relied upon for its usual blend of rough and tumble racing with a V8 soundtrack. But who were its top performers in 2020?

Supercars
Dec 27, 2020