Darren Manning has secured a late deal to return to the IndyCar Series with Dreyer & Reinbold Racing.
The 33-year-old championship regular lost his AJ Foyt Racing drive to Vitor Meira at the end of last season, and had not expected to be part of the series in 2009.
"It was the Monday before the first race in St Petersburg and I wasn't going," Manning said. "I was organising my plans for the weekend and set my mind that I wasn't going to be driving in the 2009 IndyCar Series, and come Tuesday afternoon I get the call from (team co-owner) Dennis (Reinbold) to get me in the car, and it has all changed."
Manning, who has only been announced for the St Petersburg season-opener so far, completes an all-British driver line-up at Dreyer & Reinbold alongside rookie Mike Conway.
"I have been talking to these guys for a long time and saw what they did last year, and with what they did over the winter I could see them doing really well," said Manning.
"Also, with Mike, he's a good guy and I know his background in Europe and he's a fellow Brit. He's a really quick driver and I think we will work well together.
"Hopefully, with my experience and speed at St Petersburg, it will help the team take those steps forward."
Dreyer & Reinbold ran Buddy Rice last season, with Milka Duno and Townsend Bell sharing its second car.