Sebastien Buemi, Nico Prost extend Renault e.dams Formula E deals

Sebastien Buemi and Nico Prost have been retained by Renault e.dams for the next two seasons of Formula E

Sebastien Buemi, Nico Prost extend Renault e.dams Formula E deals

Buemi and Prost have been team-mates at the French outfit since the inaugural FE campaign, and between them won 14 of the electric single-seater series' 27 races so far.

They won the first FE teams' title for e.dams in 2014/15 and made it successive team honours when Renault joined as a powertrain manufacturer for 2015/16, with Buemi also winning the drivers' title.

The news was announced in the build-up to the series' double-header in Berlin, where Buemi is seeking to continue a dominant start to the 2016/17 season.

He has won five of the first six races and leads the championship by 43 points, while Renault e.dams leads the teams' fight by 75 points.

Prost is third in the championship, but yet to score a podium this season.

Renault e.dams co-owner Alain Prost said the "harmony" between the two drivers was important given the development process has already begun for 2018/19, when the championship will drop mid-race car swaps and the technical challenge will increase.

The retention of both drivers for two seasons comes after discussions over whether Renault should be replaced in FE by sister brand Nissan.

This raised a question mark over the future of Buemi, who is contracted to Nissan rival Toyota in the World Endurance Championship.

The Swiss driver said he was "very pleased to continue the adventure" with Renault e.dams.

"The team has done an amazing job and allowed me to have the best car on the grid," he said.

"I could not ask for anything more. I look forward to continuing to fight hard and bringing home more victories to my team."

Nico Prost said he was "obviously delighted" to continue for two more years.

"Most people within the team have been here since the first test in Donington back in 2014," he said. "We all know each other well and get on great together.

"We will continue to work hard to finish this third season on a high and prepare to do even better in 2017/18 and 2018/19.

"The level does not stop rising and we want to maintain to be the best."

shares
comments
Roborace's plan for driverless 'races' begins with second car

Previous article

Roborace's plan for driverless 'races' begins with second car

Next article

Techeetah Formula E team: Gutierrez IndyCar move breached contract

Techeetah Formula E team: Gutierrez IndyCar move breached contract
Load comments
The half-term report cards of each Formula E team in 2020-21 Plus

The half-term report cards of each Formula E team in 2020-21

In an eventful Formula E season, punctuated by rain and energy-conservation controversy, the 12 teams contesting the championship have endured many challenges in the opening seven races. Here's how they've got on across the first half of the season.

Formula E
May 26, 2021
How Formula E stood up to F1 comparisons in Monaco Plus

How Formula E stood up to F1 comparisons in Monaco

OPINION: It was no surprise to anybody that the laptimes achieved by Formula E cars on the full Monaco circuit were much slower than Formula 1. But perhaps the more relevant comparison was in the racing spectacle, where FE delivered in spades

Formula E
May 12, 2021
How Monaco dealt Formula E a winning hand to cure its hangover Plus

How Monaco dealt Formula E a winning hand to cure its hangover

Formula E faced much criticism in the wake of its maligned Valencia event. In need of a turnaround, the series' first use of Monaco's iconic Formula 1 layout provided it with the injection of thrills required to clear the fog that had enveloped the paddock

Formula E
May 10, 2021
How Valencia E-Prix farce left Formula E with an image problem Plus

How Valencia E-Prix farce left Formula E with an image problem

Formula E was under the microscope at Valencia, on its first visit to a permanent circuit. But after a mere nine drivers were left classified following Saturday's Valencia E-Prix, the electric championship once more faced criticism after rising energy deductions and miscalculations produced a farcical affair

Formula E
Apr 25, 2021
The silver bullet signing that has launched Jaguar into title contention Plus

The silver bullet signing that has launched Jaguar into title contention

It's taken a long time for Jaguar to reach the cusp of contending for championships in Formula E. But, after last season's challenge crumbled in Berlin, the team has been bolstered by a top-line arrival who has helped to end an unwanted 30-year wait

Formula E
Apr 22, 2021
How Vergne and Vandoorne found redemption in Rome Plus

How Vergne and Vandoorne found redemption in Rome

Another Formula E double-header, another double dose of frantic action. While the form guide remains unpredictable following fightback wins for Jean-Eric Vergne and Stoffel Vandoorne in Rome, the speed and consistency of Mercedes – both on and off the track – could have its rivals worried for what is to follow

Formula E
Apr 12, 2021
What Nissan's commitment to Gen3 reveals about Formula E's future Plus

What Nissan's commitment to Gen3 reveals about Formula E's future

Formula E's Gen3 era grid continues to take shape, after Nissan opted to commit to the series for another four years. Nissan's global chief operating officer explains why it has thrown its lot in with FE while other high-profile marques have decided to call it quits

Formula E
Mar 24, 2021
Why the new Formula E season got off to such a controversial start Plus

Why the new Formula E season got off to such a controversial start

With the new Formula E season belatedly getting underway in Saudi Arabia, the championship appeared to try to make up for lost time with an overspill of action and controversy on and off the track. While some talking points could have serious repercussions, it was an explosive opener for many reasons

Formula E
Mar 1, 2021