Nato to replace ex-F1 driver Massa at Venturi for 2020-21 Formula E season

The Venturi Racing Formula E squad has promoted its reserve driver Norman Nato to the race team to replace Felipe Massa for the 2020-21 season

Nato to replace ex-F1 driver Massa at Venturi for 2020-21 Formula E season

French driver Nato, who has competed in the LMP1 ranks of the World Endurance Championship for Rebellion Racing, has served as Venturi's simulator and reserve driver since 2018.

He has now been called up to replace 11-time Formula 1 race winner Massa, whose exit from Venturi was announced minutes after the finish of the final race of the 2019-20 campaign.

Nato will partner Edoardo Mortara, with the 2019 Hong Kong E-Prix victor set to contest his fourth season for the Monegasque concern.

"I'm ready and I know it's going to be difficult," Nato told Autosport.

"I need time to learn but the main goal for me is to have no regrets at the end of the year.

"The most important thing is to score points every weekend - that's the only target we have so far."

Nato, 28, took part in the Marrakech rookie test last season, setting the sixth fastest time on a 1m17.302s to outpace his temporary team-mate Arthur Leclerc by 0.7s.

He was also quicker than rookies Jake Hughes and Daniel Juncadella, who contested the two sessions for Mercedes, of which Venturi is a powertrain customer.

Nato added: "After the Marrakech rookie test was quite successful with the team, I knew it could be an opportunity for the seat for next season.

"I spent a lot of days in the simulator. And to be honest, as I say to Susie [Wolff, Venturi team principal], I did the best I could to show to the team that I'm ready for Formula E and I deserve the seat.

"Just being in the simulator during the race weekend was quite frustrating because most of the guys who are racing in Formula E are the guys I've been fighting with in the past so I couldn't wait to go and finally race with them."

Nato has risen through junior categories such as World Series by Renault and both GP2 and FIA Formula 2 competing against FE incumbents Robin Frijns, Stoffel Vandoorne and Nico Muller.

Autosport understands that Nato had also been in talks with other FE teams about a seat if the Venturi option did not become available - possibly Dragon and NIO 333.

Nato added he would also like to contest another series next year, saying: "It's quite important to do something next to Formula E."

Wolff said: "As our reserve driver, Norman has proven his ability at every available opportunity, not only showing speed during in-season testing but also demonstrating clear commitment to his role in our simulator.

"The decision to promote him to a full-time race seat is indicative of his contribution to the team so far - he has earned the opportunity to show us what he can do behind the wheel."

The 2020-21 calendar, the seventh season of FE, is set to commence in Santiago on 16 January.

shares
comments
Extreme E faces legal challenge over its name from adventure sports company

Previous article

Extreme E faces legal challenge over its name from adventure sports company

Next article

Formula E "keen to explore" Portugal race after Da Costa test

Formula E "keen to explore" Portugal race after Da Costa test
Load comments
The half-term report cards of each Formula E team in 2020-21 Plus

The half-term report cards of each Formula E team in 2020-21

In an eventful Formula E season, punctuated by rain and energy-conservation controversy, the 12 teams contesting the championship have endured many challenges in the opening seven races. Here's how they've got on across the first half of the season.

Formula E
May 26, 2021
How Formula E stood up to F1 comparisons in Monaco Plus

How Formula E stood up to F1 comparisons in Monaco

OPINION: It was no surprise to anybody that the laptimes achieved by Formula E cars on the full Monaco circuit were much slower than Formula 1. But perhaps the more relevant comparison was in the racing spectacle, where FE delivered in spades

Formula E
May 12, 2021
How Monaco dealt Formula E a winning hand to cure its hangover Plus

How Monaco dealt Formula E a winning hand to cure its hangover

Formula E faced much criticism in the wake of its maligned Valencia event. In need of a turnaround, the series' first use of Monaco's iconic Formula 1 layout provided it with the injection of thrills required to clear the fog that had enveloped the paddock

Formula E
May 10, 2021
How Valencia E-Prix farce left Formula E with an image problem Plus

How Valencia E-Prix farce left Formula E with an image problem

Formula E was under the microscope at Valencia, on its first visit to a permanent circuit. But after a mere nine drivers were left classified following Saturday's Valencia E-Prix, the electric championship once more faced criticism after rising energy deductions and miscalculations produced a farcical affair

Formula E
Apr 25, 2021
The silver bullet signing that has launched Jaguar into title contention Plus

The silver bullet signing that has launched Jaguar into title contention

It's taken a long time for Jaguar to reach the cusp of contending for championships in Formula E. But, after last season's challenge crumbled in Berlin, the team has been bolstered by a top-line arrival who has helped to end an unwanted 30-year wait

Formula E
Apr 22, 2021
How Vergne and Vandoorne found redemption in Rome Plus

How Vergne and Vandoorne found redemption in Rome

Another Formula E double-header, another double dose of frantic action. While the form guide remains unpredictable following fightback wins for Jean-Eric Vergne and Stoffel Vandoorne in Rome, the speed and consistency of Mercedes – both on and off the track – could have its rivals worried for what is to follow

Formula E
Apr 12, 2021
What Nissan's commitment to Gen3 reveals about Formula E's future Plus

What Nissan's commitment to Gen3 reveals about Formula E's future

Formula E's Gen3 era grid continues to take shape, after Nissan opted to commit to the series for another four years. Nissan's global chief operating officer explains why it has thrown its lot in with FE while other high-profile marques have decided to call it quits

Formula E
Mar 24, 2021
Why the new Formula E season got off to such a controversial start Plus

Why the new Formula E season got off to such a controversial start

With the new Formula E season belatedly getting underway in Saudi Arabia, the championship appeared to try to make up for lost time with an overspill of action and controversy on and off the track. While some talking points could have serious repercussions, it was an explosive opener for many reasons

Formula E
Mar 1, 2021