FIA to discuss FE driver behaviour after Bern red flag incident

The FIA will discuss the behaviour of several ABB FIA Formula E drivers during the red flag stoppage in Bern ahead of the season finale in New York, Autosport understands

FIA to discuss FE driver behaviour after Bern red flag incident

The Swiss E-Prix was stopped after a first corner pile-up caused a track blockage in the de facto capital of Switzerland, but several drivers were able to get through by cutting the chicane that formed the opening sequence of turns.

They therefore leapt up the order to run behind leaders Jean-Eric Vergne, Mitch Evans and Sebastien Buemi, but the order was reset to the starting grid positions during the subsequent 40-minute delay before racing resumed.

This led to several drivers - including Lucas di Grassi, Antonio Felix da Costa and Felipe Massa - being captured on FE's TV feed remonstrating with an FIA official about the decision when they returned to the pitlane during the stoppage.

Autosport understands that the FIA examined the incident after the race in Bern and FE race director Scot Elkins has now confirmed it will be discussed again in New York.

In response to an enquiry about the incident from Autosport, Elkins said this will not be "a formal investigation, but it will be discussed at the next event".

The argument about resetting the order to the grid stemmed from confusion over where the positions had last been taken.

FE's sporting rules state that 'the order will be taken at the last point at which it was possible to determine the position of all cars', but it appeared that some drivers felt an order had been established during the time it took to bring out the red flags from the time of the crash.

During this time the leaders and those who had cut the chicane had reached the lower part of the track, which was largely situated on a hill overlooking central Bern.

But the FIA has now clarified to Autosport that as it had to determine the position of the all the cars for the restart, it had find a point before the crash occurred, as several were left stranded at the scene.

"In the case of Bern, the only timing line we had prior to the T12 [the race's first corner due to the track's offset start/finish lines] incident scene was a non-published 'TV' timeline, which was very near the start gantry," explained Elkins.

"We reviewed the order at the 'TV' timeline and were not able to determine the position of all cars based on this timeline data, therefore based on this and the fact that we did not complete lap one, it was determined to use the starting grid order for the restart."

Di Grassi and Massa said after the race that they felt the decision remained "super unfair" and "totally unacceptable" respectively.

They were frustrated that the drivers who had caused the track to be blocked were able to regain their positions.

shares
comments
FIA explains why it banned twin-motors from Formula E

Previous article

FIA explains why it banned twin-motors from Formula E

Next article

New Seoul Formula E track layout revealed using Olympics venue

New Seoul Formula E track layout revealed using Olympics venue
Load comments
Why electric racing cars should be four-wheel drive Plus

Why electric racing cars should be four-wheel drive

OPINION: Circuit racing has traditionally favoured front- or rear-wheel-drive setups, eschewing the equal distribution of power. But for Formula E and other electric-powered series, our columnist believes it’s a perfect fit

Formula E
Oct 13, 2021
How motorsport's most prominent power couple found joint success Plus

How motorsport's most prominent power couple found joint success

The Wolffs have carved their own paths in motorsport, leading their respective teams to success in Formula 1 and Formula E. But the two came together last month as their drivers finished first and second in the FE drivers' championship - a feat they are hugely proud of. In a rare joint interview, they reflect on a remarkable season

Formula E
Sep 21, 2021
The top 10 Formula E drivers of 2020-21 Plus

The top 10 Formula E drivers of 2020-21

OPINION: The 2021 Formula E campaign was one without a narrative for much of the season, with no single car or driver able to break away from the pack. That makes choosing a top 10 especially difficult, particularly as the qualifying format meant some worthy performers were unable to enjoy their day in the sun

Formula E
Sep 19, 2021
How Mercedes and De Vries achieved Formula E glory the hard way Plus

How Mercedes and De Vries achieved Formula E glory the hard way

When Nyck de Vries dominated the first race of what would be the most controversial and unpredictable Formula E season to date, it looked as though Mercedes was in for a cakewalk. But as the campaign wore on, the path to a title double became increasingly rocky. Neither driver or team would be assured of the crown until the closing stages of the very final race on a weekend of struggle in Berlin

Formula E
Sep 17, 2021
The Formula E 'loan' deal that will keep its original missionary winning Plus

The Formula E 'loan' deal that will keep its original missionary winning

OPINION: The departure of Audi from Formula E meant its long-time driver Lucas di Grassi would need to find a new berth to stay on the grid. His deal at Venturi Racing will ensure the championship's first-ever race winner will remain competitive into the final year of the current Gen2 ruleset - although it may not be a long-term fit

Formula E
Sep 15, 2021
The problems laid bare by Mercedes' impending Formula E departure Plus

The problems laid bare by Mercedes' impending Formula E departure

Mercedes' planned withdrawal from Formula E at the end of the 2022 season will contribute to the big hole left by fellow automotive manufacturers Audi and BMW on their departures. Although the team may stick around under a different guise, the exit of the now-reigning teams' champion underlines FE's current issues...

Formula E
Aug 18, 2021
The F1 dilemma facing Mercedes' new world champion Plus

The F1 dilemma facing Mercedes' new world champion

After clinching the Formula E title at the Berlin finale, Nyck de Vries is a driver in demand. Although Mercedes would love to keep a reigning champion at the team, the allure of a Williams F1 drive may be too much for de Vries to ignore should a potential deal come to pass

Formula E
Aug 17, 2021
How de Vries claimed Formula E title glory as Mercedes exit bombshell looms Plus

How de Vries claimed Formula E title glory as Mercedes exit bombshell looms

As Formula E lined up to complete its seventh season at Berlin's Tempelhof Airport, all eyes were on who would be its first official FIA world champion. Despite Nyck de Vries' title lead heading into the weekend looking all but secure, the Dutchman held on - and enjoyed a good dollop of fortune - to secure a championship double for Mercedes

Formula E
Aug 16, 2021