Wilson Looking to America after F1 Snub

Briton Justin Wilson revealed on Friday that he is looking to the United States to continue his motor racing career after seeing his Formula One dream left in tatters by Minardi earlier this week.

Wilson Looking to America after F1 Snub

Briton Justin Wilson revealed on Friday that he is looking to the United States to continue his motor racing career after seeing his Formula One dream left in tatters by Minardi earlier this week.

Wilson, who made his Grand Prix debut this year, lost his seat with Jaguar to Austrian Christian Klien and saw his chances of making a return to Minardi dashed by the announcement on Wednesday that Zsolt Baumgartner is expected to join Gianmaria Bruni in 2004.

His only hope now rests on a testing role with Minardi or Jaguar but with current regulations not allowing drivers of his experience to test for teams on a Friday at Grands Prix weekends he has admitted he is seeking an alternative to Formula One.

"I hope the FIA will change the rules about testing, but right now we will have to look at the States, where I had an offer last year in ChampCars," Wilson told the Daily Express. "I like that series because you can really race there, but clearly Formula One is the place to be.

"Not surprisingly I am a little down at the news and not exactly sure what I will be doing next year. It's not the perfect Christmas but I have had this before and you just have to stay positive."

Wilson, who funded his drive to the tune of £1.2 million (pounds) through a unique share offer scheme, blamed the escalating costs of the sport and his own lack of sponsors for his failure to secure a drive.

Klien brought significant sponsorship funding from Red Bull to help secure his seat alongside Mark Webber at Jaguar while Bruni and Baumgartner have both promised several millions to claim their places at Minardi.

"Money is talking," said Wilson. "The current climate does not help me. Costs are huge, the teams need even larger amounts of money to invest and some drivers have big budgets."

Jordan are now the only team with a seat available. They have signed Nick Heidfeld on the proviso they can secure enough backing to cover the cost of the drive but are also thought to be looking for a pay driver to fill the second position.

shares
comments
Grapevine: Andersson Replaced Due to Age Policy Only

Previous article

Grapevine: Andersson Replaced Due to Age Policy Only

Next article

F1 parties reach agreement

F1 parties reach agreement
Load comments
The tough balancing act facing Schumacher’s Netflix film producers Plus

The tough balancing act facing Schumacher’s Netflix film producers

Michael Schumacher is the latest sporting superstar to get the ‘Netflix treatment’, with a special documentary film airing on the US streaming giant’s platform this month. DAMIEN SMITH has the inside track on how the filmmakers gained access to tell the human story behind one of Formula 1’s most publicity-shy champions - while the man himself, for obvious reasons, is in absentia… 

The times that suggest Verstappen should be confident of F1 Russian GP recovery Plus

The times that suggest Verstappen should be confident of F1 Russian GP recovery

For the second race in a row, Mercedes has ended the first day of track action on top. It’s in a commanding position at the Russian Grand Prix once again – this time largely thanks to Max Verstappen’s upcoming engine-change grid penalty. But there’s plenty to suggest all hope is not lost for the championship leader at Sochi

Formula 1
Sep 24, 2021
The ‘backwards step’ that is the right move for Formula 1 Plus

The ‘backwards step’ that is the right move for Formula 1

OPINION: With its days apparently numbered, the MGU-H looks set to be dropped from Formula 1’s future engine rules in order to entice new manufacturers in. While it may appear a change of direction, the benefits for teams and fans could make the decision a worthwhile call

Formula 1
Sep 23, 2021
The floundering fortunes of F1’s many Lotus reboots Plus

The floundering fortunes of F1’s many Lotus reboots

Team Lotus ceased to exist in 1994 - and yet various parties have been trying to resurrect the hallowed name, in increasingly unrecognisable forms, ever since. DAMIEN SMITH brings GP Racing’s history of the legendary team to an end with a look at those who sought to keep the flame alive in Formula 1

Formula 1
Sep 22, 2021
Why the 2021 title fight is far from F1's worst, despite its toxic background Plus

Why the 2021 title fight is far from F1's worst, despite its toxic background

OPINION: Formula 1 reconvenes for the Russian Grand Prix two weeks after the latest blow in ‘Max Verstappen vs Lewis Hamilton’. While the Silverstone and Monza incidents were controversial, they thankfully lacked one element that so far separates the 2021 title fight from the worst examples of ugly championship battles

Formula 1
Sep 22, 2021
How F1’s other champion to emerge from 1991 thrived at Lotus Plus

How F1’s other champion to emerge from 1991 thrived at Lotus

Mika Hakkinen became Michael Schumacher’s biggest rival in Formula 1 in the late-90s and early 2000s, having also made his F1 debut in 1991. But as MARK GALLAGHER recalls, while Schumacher wowed the world with a car that was eminently capable, Hakkinen was fighting to make his mark with a famous team in terminal decline

Formula 1
Sep 21, 2021
The forgotten F1 comeback that began Jordan’s odyssey  Plus

The forgotten F1 comeback that began Jordan’s odyssey 

Before Michael Schumacher – or anyone else – had driven the 191 (or 911 as it was initially called), Eddie Jordan turned to a fellow Irishman to test his new Formula 1 car. JOHN WATSON, a grand prix winner for Penske and McLaren, recalls his role in the birth of a legend…

Formula 1
Sep 20, 2021
The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog Plus

The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog

A podium finisher in its first outing but then never again, the BRM P201 was a classic case of an opportunity squandered by disorganisation and complacency, says STUART CODLING

Formula 1
Sep 18, 2021