Theissen in warning over two-tier F1

BMW motorsport director Mario Theissen has warned that Formula 1's manufacturer teams may reconsider their future in the sport if a two-tier championship goes ahead next season

Theissen in warning over two-tier F1

With senior figures within the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) suggesting there is deep unhappiness at the FIA's decision to impose a voluntary budget cap for 2010, Theissen has admitted that car makers may turn their back on what he thinks would be a 'difficult situation' in the sport.

FOTA has already demanded 'urgent' talks with the FIA over the matter, and sources are suggesting that the current teams may even be evaluating a plan to not lodge their entries to the 2010 championship by the May 29 deadline if the current rules are not changed.

Making reference to the fact that the BMW board has given its full support to the F1 programme despite his team's difficult start, Theissen said that such an attitude could change dramatically if the voluntary budget cap is imposed.

"We analysed and evaluated the situation and the F1 programme with the board prior to the start of the season in February," said Theissen. "It was overall a very positive evaluation and judgement, and that hasn't changed.

"Apparently everybody is disappointed about the sporting results, but other than that there is no news and we have not discussed it since.

"What is important though is next year's regulations. We really hope that there will be a one tier F1 next year, and not two classes of cars running to different regulations, because that would definitely affect our next internal evaluation. It would be a different environment."

When asked if he felt that manufacturers would go so far as leave F1 because of the rules, he said: "It is hard to tell. It would definitely create a difficult situation."

FOTA's leading figures are keen not to talk too much about what was agreed at Wednesday's meeting in Heathrow, but high level sources within the organisation suggest there was a unanimous feeling that the current plans for 2010 had to change.

Theissen would not reveal any details but said: "I will not comment on the substance of our discussions. I can tell you that we are still in one boat.

"We are preparing a response from our side to the regulatory situation but also to the commercial side, and obviously we want to discuss this with the FIA. And the FIA first, not passing it onto them through the public and media."

Brawn team principal Ross Brawn added: "We have to find a solution. We are putting together some suggestions and our idea is to work with the FIA. We want to talk to them about our concerns.

"We want to put together some ideas in the next few weeks, and our goal is to reduce costs but also keep F1 as great as possible."

There is a time pressure to get the situation sorted, however, with entries to next year's championship closing at the end of this month.

The idea of the teams sticking together and not submitting any entries for 2010 is one possibility, while it has been suggested that some FOTA members are looking at the manner by which the voluntary budget cap has been introduced - and whether it subscribes to official FIA protocol.

Earlier this year, FOTA managed to get the FIA's introduction of a 'winner takes all' championship system scrapped after it was not introduced properly.

When asked if an entry boycott was possible, Theissen said: "Sorry. This is part of the discussion we want to have with the FIA."

With Ferrari having been at the centre of headlines all week about its future in the sport in the wake of the budget cap announcement, driver Felipe Massa expressed some weariness about the situation in Spain on Thursday.

"I feel that the political side is bigger than ever," he said. "I'm not happy about that.

"At the moment there are too many political games around F1 that I don't want to put myself in the middle of. The only thing I can say is that it would be nice to have a better sport, less political, and more sport."

shares
comments
Q & A with Jenson Button
Previous article

Q & A with Jenson Button

Next article

Thursday's press conference - Spain

Thursday's press conference - Spain
Load comments
The “glorified taxi” driver central to F1’s continued safety push Plus

The “glorified taxi” driver central to F1’s continued safety push

As the driver of Formula 1’s medical car, Alan van der Merwe’s job is to wait – and hope his skills aren’t needed. JAMES NEWBOLD hears from F1’s lesser-known stalwarts

Formula 1
Jan 15, 2022
When BMW added F1 'rocket fuel' to ignite Brabham's 1983 title push Plus

When BMW added F1 'rocket fuel' to ignite Brabham's 1983 title push

There was an ace up the sleeve during the 1983 F1 title-winning season of Nelson Piquet and Brabham. It made a frontrunning car invincible for the last three races to see off Renault's Alain Prost and secure the combination's second world title in three years

Formula 1
Jan 13, 2022
How “abysmal” reliability blunted Brabham’s first winner Plus

How “abysmal” reliability blunted Brabham’s first winner

Brabham’s first world championship race-winning car was held back by unreliable Climax engines – or so its creators believed, as STUART CODLING explains

Formula 1
Jan 10, 2022
The steps Norris took to reach a new level in F1 2021 Plus

The steps Norris took to reach a new level in F1 2021

Lando Norris came of age as a grand prix driver in 2021. McLaren’s young ace is no longer an apprentice or a quietly capable number two – he’s proved himself a potential winner in the top flight and, as STUART CODLING finds out, he’s ready to stake his claim to greatness…

Formula 1
Jan 9, 2022
The original F1 maestro who set the bar for Schumacher and Hamilton Plus

The original F1 maestro who set the bar for Schumacher and Hamilton

Juan Manuel Fangio, peerless on track and charming off it, established the gold standard of grand prix greatness. NIGEL ROEBUCK recalls a remarkable champion

Formula 1
Jan 8, 2022
How Russell sees his place in the Mercedes-Hamilton F1 superteam Plus

How Russell sees his place in the Mercedes-Hamilton F1 superteam

George Russell joining Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes this year gives it arguably the best line-up in Formula 1 – if it can avoid too many fireworks. After serving his apprenticeship at Williams, Russell is the man that Mercedes team believes can lead it in the post-Hamilton era, but how will he fare against the seven-time champion? Autosport heard from the man himself

Formula 1
Jan 6, 2022
How F1 pulled off its second pandemic season and its 2022 implications Plus

How F1 pulled off its second pandemic season and its 2022 implications

OPINION: The Formula 1 season just gone was the second to be completed under the dreaded shadow of the COVID-19 pandemic, but in many ways it was much more ‘normal’ than 2020. Here’s the story of how the championship’s various organisers delivered a second challenging campaign, which offers a glimpse at what may be different next time around

Formula 1
Jan 5, 2022
The adapt or die mentality that will shape F1's future Plus

The adapt or die mentality that will shape F1's future

As attitudes towards the motor car and what powers it change, Formula 1 must adapt its offering. MARK GALLAGHER ponders the end of fossil fuels

Formula 1
Jan 3, 2022