Sauber F1 team compromised by Ferrari engines in Belgian GP

Sauber was compromised by a string of Ferrari Formula 1 engine problems during the Belgian Grand Prix that masked the progress of the team's upgraded parts

Sauber F1 team compromised by Ferrari engines in Belgian GP

The Swiss team was pushed to the brink amid financial problems earlier this year before new owners came on board and provided funds for the C35 to finally be developed.

Sauber brought a new front wing with a short nose, floor, diffuser and front and rear brake ducts to Spa and team boss Monisha Kaltenborn as well as drivers Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson said it was a step forward.

However, Ericsson was forced into an engine change and started from the pitlane because of cooling system issues while Nasr encountered problems, including misfires.

"The whole weekend was difficult because we have been compromised by several issues with the power unit," Kaltenborn told Autosport.

"If you look at the way the aero package has come in, it looks promising.

"You can already see how the aero characteristics have changed for the better but if you suffer these issues, it's not good.

"It is frustrating because a lot of things that have compromised us so much are not in our control.

"On Marcus's car, all these issues came up and in qualifying.

"It started out on a very good lap and the next thing you hear is there is an engine power issue.

"We hope our engine supplier sorts these problems out before Monza."

Ericsson retired after two laps when he lost sixth gear while Nasr made it up to 11th at the start but picked up a puncture from debris and was hampered for the remainder of the race.

Despite the disappointing end result, Nasr said there were reasons to be optimistic because of Sauber's updates hitting the track.

"All I can say it was a step forward," he told Autosport. "It made the front of the car stronger.

"It is true we are still missing some rear grip, rear downforce, but when it comes to tracks that we have to go back on a full downforce set-up, we might have a better outcome."

Ericsson added: "From a promising Friday where we were top 15 in both sessions, what is positive is that we have brought a new package that has brought us closer to the midfield.

"It has brought us a stronger front end, that's the main difference and it's working a lot better.

"The improved performance is down to the updates, they have shown some promise and I believe we can find some more from the package."

shares
comments
Sainz and Kvyat have question marks over Toro Rosso's F1 slump

Previous article

Sainz and Kvyat have question marks over Toro Rosso's F1 slump

Next article

Fernando Alonso 'should have backed off' in F1 pitlane clash

Fernando Alonso 'should have backed off' in F1 pitlane clash
Load comments
The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog Plus

The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog

A podium finisher in its first outing but then never again, the BRM P201 was a classic case of an opportunity squandered by disorganisation and complacency, says STUART CODLING

Formula 1
Sep 18, 2021
The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from Plus

The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from

OPINION: The headlines were dominated by the Italian Grand Prix crash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton, who had the halo to thank for avoiding potentially serious injury. But two days earlier, Formula 1 had a lucky escape with a Monza pitlane incident that could also have had grave consequences

Formula 1
Sep 17, 2021
How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum Plus

How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum

With two sprint races under its belt, Formula 1 must now consider its options for them going forward. While they've helped deliver exciting racing on Sundays, the sprints themselves have been somewhat lacking - creating yet another conundrum for F1 to solve...

Formula 1
Sep 16, 2021
Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season? Plus

Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season?

OPINION: With Valtteri Bottas already signed up for 2022, all eyes are on the race for the second seat at Alfa Romeo next year. Antonio Giovinazzi is the current incumbent, but faces a tough competition from appealing short and long-term prospects

Formula 1
Sep 15, 2021
The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence Plus

The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence

OPINION: Daniel Ricciardo has long been considered one of Formula 1’s elite drivers. But his struggles at McLaren since switching from Renault for 2021 have been painful to watch at times. Yet he’s recovered to banish those memories with a famous Monza win – built on a critically important foundation

Formula 1
Sep 14, 2021
How Verstappen is ruining his F1 title battle with Hamilton Plus

How Verstappen is ruining his F1 title battle with Hamilton

OPINION: The Italian GP clash between Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen followed a running theme in the 2021 Formula 1 title fight. Their close-quarters battles have often resulted in contact - and although Hamilton has shown a willingness to back off, Verstappen must learn to temper his aggression

Formula 1
Sep 14, 2021
Italian Grand Prix Driver Ratings Plus

Italian Grand Prix Driver Ratings

Two drivers produced maximum-score performances as, for the second year in a row, Monza threw up an unpredictable result that left several others ruing what might have been

Formula 1
Sep 13, 2021
Why Ricciardo was set for Monza F1 triumph even without Verstappen/Hamilton crash Plus

Why Ricciardo was set for Monza F1 triumph even without Verstappen/Hamilton crash

The clash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton was the major flashpoint the 2021 Italian Grand Prix will be remembered for. Yet by this point, race leader Daniel Ricciardo had already done the hard work that would put him in position to end his and McLaren's lengthy win droughts, on a memorable afternoon in Monza

Formula 1
Sep 13, 2021