Renault Formula 1 team admits to talks with Ocon for 2019 drive

Renault has confirmed it is in talks to field Mercedes Formula 1 junior Esteban Ocon in 2019 and has targeted the Belgian Grand Prix to announce its driver line-up

Renault Formula 1 team admits to talks with Ocon for 2019 drive

Ocon has been linked with a loan move to Renault next season that would mean he replaces Carlos Sainz Jr alongside Nico Hulkenberg.

Renault F1 boss Cyril Abiteboul told French broadcaster Canal+ before the Hungarian Grand Prix that talks with Ocon were taking place but that did not mean he was guaranteed to join the team.

Abiteboul said he expects conversations to continue with representatives of Ocon and Sainz over the summer break and thinks a decision will be made by the Belgian Grand Prix at the end of August.

"We have not made a decision, we have not signed anything," said Abiteboul.

"We've got a number of options, good options.

"Carlos staying with us is one of them, but things rather are in Red Bull's hands.

"Esteban joining us could be an option. Mercedes is running Esteban's career, it's a good thing, but it's also something we have to consider."

Sainz pushed for a Renault move because he did not want to stay with Toro Rosso for a fourth season and faced a lack of opportunity at Red Bull's senior team.

Max Verstappen then signed a contract extension late last year while Daniel Ricciardo is poised to land a fresh deal with Red Bull as well, which gives Sainz the chance to try to move to Renault permanently.

Ocon is halfway through his second season with Mercedes customer team Force India, having started his F1 career in mid-2016 with Manor, which also used Mercedes engines at the time.

However, Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff admitted earlier in the Hungarian GP weekend that it was open to Ocon joining a rival engine manufacturer.

Abiteboul said: "We've had talks for a long time, we first contacted his manager and Toto weeks, months ago.

"We're talking and we'll keep talking with everyone during the break, including Carlos.

"Once again, no decision has been made, we'll see with time and reach a decision at Spa.

"I think all requirements will be met for us to announce things at Spa."

shares
comments
Frustrated Ricciardo needs 'some time off' after run of F1 bad luck

Previous article

Frustrated Ricciardo needs 'some time off' after run of F1 bad luck

Next article

Horner slams Renault for below par product after Verstappen retires

Horner slams Renault for below par product after Verstappen retires
Load comments

About this article

Series Formula 1
Drivers Esteban Ocon
Teams Renault F1 Team
Author Scott Mitchell
The AlphaTauri improvements that mean Gasly’s form is no fluke Plus

The AlphaTauri improvements that mean Gasly’s form is no fluke

Pierre Gasly has driven superbly since demotion from Red Bull in 2019, but the team formerly known as Toro Rosso has come on strong too – building a car that can often challenge Ferrari and McLaren. Here Gasly reveals to ALEX KALINAUCKAS how AlphaTauri has given him the tools needed to rebuild his reputation

Why Bottas feels the time has come to be “more selfish” Plus

Why Bottas feels the time has come to be “more selfish”

We’ve seen five distinct versions of Valtteri Bottas at Mercedes as he’s tried to fulfil his own ambitions while being a consummate team player – two difficult, competing missions which have been challenging to reconcile. Speaking exclusively to STUART CODLING, Bottas explains his highs and lows… and why he still believes he can be world champion

Formula 1
May 15, 2021
Does Aston have a case in F1 2021’s big technical row? Plus

Does Aston have a case in F1 2021’s big technical row?

Aston Martin claims Formula 1’s latest technical tweaks have cost it competitiveness – and that it’s the innocent victim of a regulatory stitch-up aimed at pegging back Mercedes. But is any of this actually true? It depends on who you ask, says STUART CODLING

Formula 1
May 14, 2021
How long can F1 2021's brewing title battle stay clean? Plus

How long can F1 2021's brewing title battle stay clean?

Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen have been evenly matched so far in the 2021 Formula 1 title race. Neither has been afraid to get aggressive against each other on track, teeing up an enthralling contest as the year unwinds. But is their rivalry destined to end in broken shards of carbon fibre?

Formula 1
May 13, 2021
What the Spain result tells F1 about the next phase of the Mercedes/Red Bull title fight Plus

What the Spain result tells F1 about the next phase of the Mercedes/Red Bull title fight

OPINION: Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes have recovered from their pre-season woes to take three wins from the opening four races of 2021. But each time Red Bull and Max Verstappen have pushed them hard. So, what clues did the latest round of that battle – the Spanish Grand Prix – tease about the next stage of the season?

Formula 1
May 12, 2021
How Brabham’s one-hit wonder was boxed into a corner Plus

How Brabham’s one-hit wonder was boxed into a corner

The Brabham BT46B raced once, won once, then vanished – or did it? STUART CODLING reveals the story of the car which was never actually banned…

Formula 1
May 11, 2021
The changes Barcelona needs to provide a modern-day F1 spectacle Plus

The changes Barcelona needs to provide a modern-day F1 spectacle

Formula 1’s visits to Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya over recent years have been met with familiar criticisms despite tweaks here and there to the track to improve racing. With the 2021 Spanish Grand Prix largely going the same way, proper solutions need to be followed to achieve F1’s wider targets

Formula 1
May 10, 2021
Spanish Grand Prix Driver Ratings Plus

Spanish Grand Prix Driver Ratings

Often described as Formula 1's laboratory, the Circuit de Catalunya-Barcelona gave the clearest demonstration yet of the pecking order in 2021. And it's the key discrepancies from that order which illuminate who is excelling, and who needs to hit the reset button

Formula 1
May 10, 2021