Pirelli says Mercedes test affair hasn't affected 2014 F1 commitment

Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery has no doubts that his company will remain in Formula 1 next year, despite the fallout from the Mercedes secret test affair

Pirelli says Mercedes test affair hasn't affected 2014 F1 commitment

Although Pirelli was reprimanded for being involved in Mercedes' breach of F1's testing regulations in its running of a 2013 car, and is still not ruling out civil action against the FIA, Hembery says his bosses are still convinced that remaining in grand prix racing is the right way forward.

His comments come despite warning at the Monaco Grand Prix that time was running out for Pirelli to get a fresh deal and be ready for 2014.

"We have had a lot of internal discussions and we have had to decide what we are going to do," said Hembery, speaking in public for the first time since the FIA's International Tribunal hearing last week.

"Thankfully we have managed to convince them to stay with it; and we have got some good ideas going forward - different things, different approaches, and we would like to do that.

"The promoter is clearly on board, the majority of teams are now; and we are closing in on the final few. If we have got all the teams and promoter happy, then what else can we do?"

Hembery said Pirelli did not intend to appeal the Tribunal verdict; but revealed that his company's lawyers were still evaluating the option of taking the matter to civil courts.

"I think we said at the time that we were pleased it was recognised that nobody acted in bad faith; and with the cost being shared three ways it is a fair outcome," said Hembery.

"We also reserve the right to consider civil action so that is being considered. It is not in my hands, it is in the lawyers' hands.

"We just prefer to get on with the championship. That is the most important thing."

When asked how seriously Pirelli was looking into legal action, Hembery said: "It was a condition of the hearing that Pirelli reserves the right to consider taking the situation to a civil court.

"And I would not say we are actively looking at it; looking more at finishing the season."

Hembery also denied that his decision to skip the FIA Friday press conference at Silverstone was part of a wider conflict with the governing body, insisting that he felt enough had been said about tyres this season.

"We advised on Wednesday that we were not going to be there so it was strange that the invite still went out really," he explained.

"We felt it was the time really to move on, because we seem to get a frequent flyer pass for FIA press conference. We went to three last year and have been to three this year, and we thought it better to talk about other things."

shares
comments
Analysis: McLaren's new tech signing Matt Morris

Previous article

Analysis: McLaren's new tech signing Matt Morris

Next article

Mercedes newcomer Paddy Lowe says no awkwardness with Ross Brawn

Mercedes newcomer Paddy Lowe says no awkwardness with Ross Brawn
Load comments
The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from Plus

The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from

OPINION: The headlines were dominated by the Italian Grand Prix crash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton, who had the halo to thank for avoiding potentially serious injury. But two days earlier, Formula 1 had a lucky escape with a Monza pitlane incident that could also have had grave consequences

How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum Plus

How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum

With two sprint races under its belt, Formula 1 must now consider its options for them going forward. While they've helped deliver exciting racing on Sundays, the sprints themselves have been somewhat lacking - creating yet another conundrum for F1 to solve...

Formula 1
Sep 16, 2021
Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season? Plus

Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season?

OPINION: With Valtteri Bottas already signed up for 2022, all eyes are on the race for the second seat at Alfa Romeo next year. Antonio Giovinazzi is the current incumbent, but faces a tough competition from appealing short and long-term prospects

Formula 1
Sep 15, 2021
The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence Plus

The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence

OPINION: Daniel Ricciardo has long been considered one of Formula 1’s elite drivers. But his struggles at McLaren since switching from Renault for 2021 have been painful to watch at times. Yet he’s recovered to banish those memories with a famous Monza win – built on a critically important foundation

Formula 1
Sep 14, 2021
How Verstappen is ruining his F1 title battle with Hamilton Plus

How Verstappen is ruining his F1 title battle with Hamilton

OPINION: The Italian GP clash between Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen followed a running theme in the 2021 Formula 1 title fight. Their close-quarters battles have often resulted in contact - and although Hamilton has shown a willingness to back off, Verstappen must learn to temper his aggression

Formula 1
Sep 14, 2021
Italian Grand Prix Driver Ratings Plus

Italian Grand Prix Driver Ratings

Two drivers produced maximum-score performances as, for the second year in a row, Monza threw up an unpredictable result that left several others ruing what might have been

Formula 1
Sep 13, 2021
Why Ricciardo was set for Monza F1 triumph even without Verstappen/Hamilton crash Plus

Why Ricciardo was set for Monza F1 triumph even without Verstappen/Hamilton crash

The clash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton was the major flashpoint the 2021 Italian Grand Prix will be remembered for. Yet by this point, race leader Daniel Ricciardo had already done the hard work that would put him in position to end his and McLaren's lengthy win droughts, on a memorable afternoon in Monza

Formula 1
Sep 13, 2021
Why Italian GP success is on for McLaren even if Verstappen dominates Plus

Why Italian GP success is on for McLaren even if Verstappen dominates

For the second time in 2021, McLaren will line up for the start of a grand prix from the first row. It knows it has the chance of “glory” if things go well for Daniel Ricciardo and Lando Norris at the start of the 2021 Italian Grand Prix, but even if they just maintain their grid positions, signs from the rest of the Monza weekend suggest success is very possible for Formula 1’s other orange army

Formula 1
Sep 12, 2021