Oz organisers say GP is safe
Australian Grand Prix organisers insist the race will continue for at least another decade despite threats to scrap it from the Formula One calendar.

The FIA issued a statement over the weekend saying they would reconsider staging races in Australia after an ugly legal row with Paul Stoddart, the Melbourne-born owner of the struggling Minardi team.

However, Australian Grand Prix boss Ron Walker and Victoria state premier Steve Bracks dismissed the threats, saying the government had contracts in place guaranteeing Melbourne's right to host the race for another 10 years.

"The grand prix is here to stay," Bracks told reporters. "We have a secure, safe contract and there's as much chance of the grand prix going as there is a snowball in hell surviving."

The row erupted after stewards wanted to ban Minardi from competing at the season-opening race because their cars did not comply with newly-introduced technical regulations.

Stoddart took his case to the Victorian Supreme Court and received an injunction allowing his two cars to start in qualifying but FIA president Max Mosley retaliated by threatening to cancel the race.

Stoddart agreed to drop his legal action so the race would proceed, and his team then worked through the night to ensure their cars complied with the new regulations.

The FIA said they still wanted to discuss the Australian situation next month because their sport had been dragged through the courts.

However, Walker said he would fly to London this week to meet with Formula One commercial rights owner Bernie Ecclestone ahead of the meeting and was confident the threat would be withdrawn.

"I'm not going to get involved in the politics of the FIA," Walker said. "All we're saying is that this race is here to 2010 and Mr Bracks signed an option for another five years."

Walker said he also planned to discuss moving next year's Australian grand prix from March to April to avoid a clash with the Commonwealth Games.

Melbourne has staged the opening race of the season for the past decade, usually on the first weekend in March, but Walker believes it is too close to next year's Commonwealth Games, which will be held in Melbourne from March 15-26.

Walker, who is also in charge of the Commonwealth Games, said he wanted the race put back to the end of April, making it the third or fourth round of the season.

"We're hoping for an April 30 date," Walker said. "That hasn't been confirmed and I'm certainly not getting involved in the decision-making process because that's the domain of Mr Mosley and Mr Ecclestone, but we're hoping it will be April 30."

shares
comments
DC: New qualifying is a farce
Previous article

DC: New qualifying is a farce

Next article

Grapevine: Sunday Analysis - Australia

Grapevine: Sunday Analysis - Australia
Load comments
The Schumacher trait that will give Haas hope in F1 2022 Plus

The Schumacher trait that will give Haas hope in F1 2022

Mick Schumacher’s knack of improving during his second season in a championship was a trademark of his junior formula career, so his progress during his rookie Formula 1 campaign with Haas was encouraging. His target now will be to turn that improvement into results as the team hopes to reap the rewards of sacrificing development in 2021

The “glorified taxi” driver central to F1’s continued safety push Plus

The “glorified taxi” driver central to F1’s continued safety push

As the driver of Formula 1’s medical car, Alan van der Merwe’s job is to wait – and hope his skills aren’t needed. JAMES NEWBOLD hears from F1’s lesser-known stalwarts

Formula 1
Jan 15, 2022
When BMW added F1 'rocket fuel' to ignite Brabham's 1983 title push Plus

When BMW added F1 'rocket fuel' to ignite Brabham's 1983 title push

There was an ace up the sleeve during the 1983 F1 title-winning season of Nelson Piquet and Brabham. It made a frontrunning car invincible for the last three races to see off Renault's Alain Prost and secure the combination's second world title in three years

Formula 1
Jan 13, 2022
How “abysmal” reliability blunted Brabham’s first winner Plus

How “abysmal” reliability blunted Brabham’s first winner

Brabham’s first world championship race-winning car was held back by unreliable Climax engines – or so its creators believed, as STUART CODLING explains

Formula 1
Jan 10, 2022
The steps Norris took to reach a new level in F1 2021 Plus

The steps Norris took to reach a new level in F1 2021

Lando Norris came of age as a grand prix driver in 2021. McLaren’s young ace is no longer an apprentice or a quietly capable number two – he’s proved himself a potential winner in the top flight and, as STUART CODLING finds out, he’s ready to stake his claim to greatness…

Formula 1
Jan 9, 2022
The original F1 maestro who set the bar for Schumacher and Hamilton Plus

The original F1 maestro who set the bar for Schumacher and Hamilton

Juan Manuel Fangio, peerless on track and charming off it, established the gold standard of grand prix greatness. NIGEL ROEBUCK recalls a remarkable champion

Formula 1
Jan 8, 2022
How Russell sees his place in the Mercedes-Hamilton F1 superteam Plus

How Russell sees his place in the Mercedes-Hamilton F1 superteam

George Russell joining Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes this year gives it arguably the best line-up in Formula 1 – if it can avoid too many fireworks. After serving his apprenticeship at Williams, Russell is the man that Mercedes team believes can lead it in the post-Hamilton era, but how will he fare against the seven-time champion? Autosport heard from the man himself

Formula 1
Jan 6, 2022
How F1 pulled off its second pandemic season and its 2022 implications Plus

How F1 pulled off its second pandemic season and its 2022 implications

OPINION: The Formula 1 season just gone was the second to be completed under the dreaded shadow of the COVID-19 pandemic, but in many ways it was much more ‘normal’ than 2020. Here’s the story of how the championship’s various organisers delivered a second challenging campaign, which offers a glimpse at what may be different next time around

Formula 1
Jan 5, 2022