Mosley: FOTA response was 'weak'

FIA president Max Mosley says he regarded the Formula One Teams' Association's response to the introduction of budget caps as 'weak', and feels the teams' body should have gone further with its own proposals

Mosley: FOTA response was 'weak'

FOTA recently unveiled plans for cost cuts that it believed would reduce Formula 1 budgets by 50 per cent, but the FIA World Motor Sport Council still chose to introduce an optional £30 million budget cap for 2010.

A FOTA statement expressed the teams' 'concern' at this development, but Mosley says the independent outfits are in favour of the concept.

"It was a weak response," Mosley told the Daily Telegraph. "They knew we were considering a budget cap, but I don't think they expected us just to do it like that.

"The complaint was that we didn't consult them. Well, we've been talking a lot to Force India and Williams, both of whom were very supportive. I've not spoken recently to [Red Bull owner Dietrich] Mateschitz but I would have thought it might appeal to him too.

"In any case, we had to do something. All we've had from the teams so far is 'We've done a fantastic job, we've reduced costs by 50 per cent'. So what?

"It has come down from $300-$400 million to $150-$200 million? Well, that's admirable, but I'm dubious as to whether they will still have $150-$200 million in 2010 and 2011.

"It is provisional. I actually think it could be done for £25 million but that's just my opinion. All my advisers think it should be more."

Mosley remains convinced that the teams will ultimately welcome the idea of a budget cap.

"When people calm down a little bit they will see that all of this is brilliant for Formula 1," he said. "It won't hurt the DNA of the sport - £30 million is still vastly more than any other series."

shares
comments
Ferrari to race KERS in Melbourne
Previous article

Ferrari to race KERS in Melbourne

Next article

Brawn says much work still to do

Brawn says much work still to do
Load comments
The impressive attitude that earned Albon his second F1 chance Plus

The impressive attitude that earned Albon his second F1 chance

Dropped by Red Bull last season, Alexander Albon has fought back into a Formula 1 seat with Williams. ALEX KALINAUCKAS explains what Albon has done to earn the place soon to be vacated by the highly rated George Russell

How Formula E factors could negate Red Bull's Jeddah practice gap to Mercedes Plus

How Formula E factors could negate Red Bull's Jeddah practice gap to Mercedes

Mercedes led the way in practice for Formula 1’s first race in Jeddah, where Red Bull was off the pace on both single-lap and long runs. But, if Max Verstappen can reverse the results on Saturday, factors familiar in motorsport’s main electric single-seater category could be decisive in another close battle with Lewis Hamilton

Formula 1
Dec 3, 2021
Why Norris doesn’t expect Mr Nice Guy praise for much longer Plus

Why Norris doesn’t expect Mr Nice Guy praise for much longer

Earning praise from rivals has been a welcome sign that Lando Norris is becoming established among Formula 1's elite. But the McLaren driver is confident that his team's upward curve can put him in the mix to contend for titles in the future, when he's hoping the compliments will be replaced by being deemed an equal adversary

Formula 1
Dec 2, 2021
What Ferrari still needs to improve to return to F1 title contention Plus

What Ferrari still needs to improve to return to F1 title contention

After a disastrous 2020 in which it slumped to sixth in the F1 constructors' standings, Ferrari has rebounded strongly and is on course to finish third - despite regulations that forced it to carryover much of its forgettable SF1000 machine. Yet while it can be pleased with its improvement, there are still steps it must make if 2022 is to yield a return to winning ways

Formula 1
Dec 2, 2021
How F1 teams and personnel react in pressurised situations Plus

How F1 teams and personnel react in pressurised situations

OPINION: The pressure is firmly on Red Bull and Mercedes as Formula 1 2021 embarks on its final double-header. How the respective teams deal with that will be a crucial factor in deciding the outcome of the drivers' and constructors' championships, as Autosport's technical consultant and ex-McLaren F1 engineer explains

Formula 1
Dec 1, 2021
Why Ferrari is sure its long-term Leclerc investment will be vindicated Plus

Why Ferrari is sure its long-term Leclerc investment will be vindicated

Humble yet blisteringly quick, Charles Leclerc is the driver Ferrari sees as its next
 world champion, and a rightful heir to the greats of Ferrari’s past – even though, by the team’s own admission, he’s not the finished article yet. Here's why it is confident that the 24-year-old can be the man to end a drought stretching back to 2008

Formula 1
Nov 30, 2021
The downside to F1's show and tell proposal Plus

The downside to F1's show and tell proposal

Technology lies at the heart of the F1 story and it fascinates fans, which is why the commercial rights holder plans to compel teams to show more of their ‘secrets’. STUART CODLING fears this will encourage techno-quackery…

Formula 1
Nov 29, 2021
How getting sacked gave Mercedes F1’s tech wizard lasting benefits Plus

How getting sacked gave Mercedes F1’s tech wizard lasting benefits

He’s had a hand in world championship-winning Formula 1 cars for Benetton, Renault and Mercedes, and was also a cog in the Schumacher-Ferrari axis. Having recently ‘moved upstairs’ as Mercedes chief technical officer, James Allison tells STUART CODLING about his career path and why being axed by Benetton was one of the best things that ever happened to him

Formula 1
Nov 28, 2021