FIA and F1 drivers air views with "good conclusions" on safety car restarts

Formula 1 drivers felt positive progress was made when they discussed the Mugello safety car restart crash with race director Michael Masi

FIA and F1 drivers air views with "good conclusions" on safety car restarts

In a meeting in Sochi on Friday evening during the Russian Grand Prix, the crash and the circumstances around it were discussed at length, with all drivers able to air their views.

The question of how late the safety car lights should be turned off before a restart was a main topic, along with the unusually late position of the control line on the pitstraight in Mugello, where the race resumes.

The consensus was that it was a productive discussion, with all parties agreeing that specific circumstances played a role at Mugello.

The Grand Prix Drivers' Association had previously written a letter to Masi indicating that they were keen to work with him to prevent a repeat of the accident in the future.

Carlos Sainz Jr, Kevin Magnussen, Antonio Giovinazzi and Nicholas Latifi were all eliminated in the accident after drivers in the second half of the field accelerated before leader Valtteri Bottas took off.

"I feel like we've addressed the main points and all the things that we had to talk about and clarify, together with other drivers and the FIA," said Sainz. "And I think we've come to some really good conclusions.

"The FIA and the drivers will help each other to make sure we don't repeat the same situation again. So I'm actually very pleased with the conversation we all had, and the conclusions we took.

"I think there were other things that some drivers could have helped to avoid the accident. So a combination of some driver errors, and the FIA maybe helping us out with the safety car. I think the combination of those two things is going to make the situation a lot better.

"And all that keeping in mind that Mugello is a very specific track, a very special restart, and that scenario normally wouldn't repeat itself for example in Sochi.

"So it was a very special case, a very special scenario, which I feel like we all could have done a better job. We all realise how dangerous the situation was, and I'm sure everyone will try and make sure it doesn't repeat again."

AlphaTauri's Pierre Gasly agreed that it had been a useful debate.

"It's something we discussed for quite a while," said the Frenchman. "I think all opinions have been heard. I think we know that Mugello was also the first time we went there with F1.

"So it was a bit of a particular situation. And probably things will be slightly different if we are to go there again. But I think everybody understood pretty much what happened. And on my side, I'm fine with what has been discussed."

"I think we all work in the same direction," added GPDA director Romain Grosjean.

"We are all in line with what happened and what we can do better. Michael Masi, Ross Brawn, the drivers, I think we're all trying to find best solutions that we improve safety, but we keep a good show going on as well."

shares
comments
Vettel open to idea of racing spec-cars against F1 rivals
Previous article

Vettel open to idea of racing spec-cars against F1 rivals

Next article

Seidl: F1 doesn't need "artificial randomness" to add excitement to races

Seidl: F1 doesn't need "artificial randomness" to add excitement to races
How F1 has tried to avoid repeating its 2014 engine rules mistakes Plus

How F1 has tried to avoid repeating its 2014 engine rules mistakes

With Formula 1’s future engine regulations now agreed, MARK GALLAGHER wonders if they will provide a more competitive field than past attempts actually managed

How its faltering first turbo car advanced a Williams-Honda glory era Plus

How its faltering first turbo car advanced a Williams-Honda glory era

STUART CODLING charts the development of the Williams FW09, the ugly duckling that heralded the start of the title-winning Williams-Honda partnership

Formula 1
Sep 25, 2022
The Moss-Ferrari farce that current F1 drivers are thankfully spared Plus

The Moss-Ferrari farce that current F1 drivers are thankfully spared

Recent moves within the driver market have reminded MAURICE HAMILTON of a time when contracts weren’t worth the paper they weren’t written on…

Formula 1
Sep 24, 2022
Audi’s innovative first assault on grand prix racing Plus

Audi’s innovative first assault on grand prix racing

It has been a long time coming but Audi’s arrival in Formula 1 is finally on the horizon for 2026. But it won’t be its first foray into grand prix racing, as the German manufacturer giant has a history both long and enthralling

Formula 1
Sep 23, 2022
The seven factors powering Verstappen's 2022 F1 domination Plus

The seven factors powering Verstappen's 2022 F1 domination

After a tooth and nail and, at times, toxic Formula 1 world championship scrap last year, Max Verstappen's march to a second consecutive title has been the exact opposite. But has he really changed in 2022? Here's a dive into what factors have played a crucial role, both inside the Verstappen camp and elsewhere, in the Dutch driver's domination

Formula 1
Sep 23, 2022
Why Hamilton is still the man to keep driving Mercedes forward Plus

Why Hamilton is still the man to keep driving Mercedes forward

Lewis Hamilton’s words in a recent Vanity Fair interview define both his world-view and his approach to this season: one of perpetual struggle against adversity. As GP RACING explains, that’s what Lewis feeds off – and why, far from being down and nearly out, he’s using his unique skillset to spearhead Mercedes’ revival…

Formula 1
Sep 22, 2022
The time lag of ideas that offers intrigue over F1's future fight Plus

The time lag of ideas that offers intrigue over F1's future fight

The pecking order in 2022's Formula 1 season may look pretty static as the season draws to a close, but the unique nature of the cost cap means that preparation for next season takes precedence. New developments are being pushed back to 2023 - which could mask the technical development war ongoing...

Formula 1
Sep 22, 2022
How one retro event could prove an alluring prospect for Formula 1 stars Plus

How one retro event could prove an alluring prospect for Formula 1 stars

While Formula 1 drivers taking part in retro events can prove costly, as Charles Leclerc discovered at the Monaco Historic Grand Prix, the Goodwood Revival could prove an interesting experiment for today's stars. As the event's own Tourist Trophy race proves it means serious business, a race for current F1 drivers feels as though it’s in line with where the event is currently at

Goodwood Revival
Sep 21, 2022