F1 visor tear-off ban still being disputed at Monaco Grand Prix

The decision to impose a tear-off strip ban in Formula 1 set to be introduced at this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix remains up in the air

F1 visor tear-off ban still being disputed at Monaco Grand Prix

Ahead of the weekend, it was decided that drivers were not allowed to throw the tear-off strips away and were required to find alternative ways of disposal.

Mercedes executive technical director Paddy Lowe said on Thursday that a decision had been made to allow drivers to use two tear-offs during a race, but it has emerged that further discussions are taking place regarding the ban.

The subject was discussed at the drivers' briefing on Thursday with Daniil Kvyat revealing talks were continuing.

"There is some optimisation going on between the FIA and the teams to try and work out the best solution," he said.

"The last thing you want on a track like Monaco is to be blinded by the oil which goes between layers of tear-offs."

Jenson Button described the ban as "a bit silly" and Kvyat agreed and suggested the discussions were childish.

"It's a bit of kindergarden talk to be honest," he said.

"Whether we use one, two or 10, for me it's quite straightforward - you need to use tear-offs on track sometimes.

"On lap two or three, especially if you're not on pole and you're following many other cars, there is so much oil coming that you urgently need to take a strip off.

"You cannot box [pit] for that on lap three or four because you lose your race.

"If the FIA really wants us to do it, they should come up with something that will explain how to keep it inside [the car] or it will not happen.

"For safety reasons, for the vision, we need it.

"We can have an agreement where we use as few as possible, but when it's really necessary we need to use them."

shares
comments
Mercedes F1 team knows Red Bull Monaco Grand Prix threat is real
Previous article

Mercedes F1 team knows Red Bull Monaco Grand Prix threat is real

Next article

Monaco Grand Prix: FIA makes U-turn on tear-offs ban

Monaco Grand Prix: FIA makes U-turn on tear-offs ban
Why Sainz is key to Ferrari achieving its chairman's F1 goals Plus

Why Sainz is key to Ferrari achieving its chairman's F1 goals

Although Ferrari's chances of title glory in 2022 have evaporated, chairman John Elkann expects the team to have chalked up both championships by 2026. Both require drivers to play the team game and, having now become more comfortable with the F1-75, Carlos Sainz may be Ferrari's key to title glory

How F1 has tried to avoid repeating its 2014 engine rules mistakes Plus

How F1 has tried to avoid repeating its 2014 engine rules mistakes

With Formula 1’s future engine regulations now agreed, MARK GALLAGHER wonders if they will provide a more competitive field than past attempts actually managed

Formula 1
Sep 26, 2022
How its faltering first turbo car advanced a Williams-Honda glory era Plus

How its faltering first turbo car advanced a Williams-Honda glory era

STUART CODLING charts the development of the Williams FW09, the ugly duckling that heralded the start of the title-winning Williams-Honda partnership

Formula 1
Sep 25, 2022
The Moss-Ferrari farce that current F1 drivers are thankfully spared Plus

The Moss-Ferrari farce that current F1 drivers are thankfully spared

Recent moves within the driver market have reminded MAURICE HAMILTON of a time when contracts weren’t worth the paper they weren’t written on…

Formula 1
Sep 24, 2022
Audi’s innovative first assault on grand prix racing Plus

Audi’s innovative first assault on grand prix racing

It has been a long time coming but Audi’s arrival in Formula 1 is finally on the horizon for 2026. But it won’t be its first foray into grand prix racing, as the German manufacturer giant has a history both long and enthralling

Formula 1
Sep 23, 2022
The seven factors powering Verstappen's 2022 F1 domination Plus

The seven factors powering Verstappen's 2022 F1 domination

After a tooth and nail and, at times, toxic Formula 1 world championship scrap last year, Max Verstappen's march to a second consecutive title has been the exact opposite. But has he really changed in 2022? Here's a dive into what factors have played a crucial role, both inside the Verstappen camp and elsewhere, in the Dutch driver's domination

Formula 1
Sep 23, 2022
Why Hamilton is still the man to keep driving Mercedes forward Plus

Why Hamilton is still the man to keep driving Mercedes forward

Lewis Hamilton’s words in a recent Vanity Fair interview define both his world-view and his approach to this season: one of perpetual struggle against adversity. As GP RACING explains, that’s what Lewis feeds off – and why, far from being down and nearly out, he’s using his unique skillset to spearhead Mercedes’ revival…

Formula 1
Sep 22, 2022
The time lag of ideas that offers intrigue over F1's future fight Plus

The time lag of ideas that offers intrigue over F1's future fight

The pecking order in 2022's Formula 1 season may look pretty static as the season draws to a close, but the unique nature of the cost cap means that preparation for next season takes precedence. New developments are being pushed back to 2023 - which could mask the technical development war ongoing...

Formula 1
Sep 22, 2022