Brendon Hartley speaks for the first time after Toro Rosso F1 exit

Brendon Hartley has spoken for the first time since he was dropped by the Toro Rosso Formula 1 team in favour of Alexander Albon for 2019

Brendon Hartley speaks for the first time after Toro Rosso F1 exit

His exit was confirmed by the announcement of Albon on Monday and the Toro Rosso press release failed to mention Hartley by name.

Hartley scored just four points in his F1 career, but his highlight came when he took sixth on the grid for Honda's home race at Suzuka, pictured below.

But his future was the source of speculation late in the season, with Toro Rosso refusing to confirm his place.

Following his exit, Hartley was praised by Toro Rosso's engine partner Honda for his part in helping the manufacturer accelerate its development ahead of its link-up with Red Bull in 2019.

"I left the [Yas Marina] circuit on Sunday with my head held high," said Hartley in a post on Twitter.

"I'm very proud of my story and my journey so far but I'm left feeling I have unfinished business in F1. For the moment, that has been put on hold.

"I've hit speed bumps before and I am a strong believer that tough situations make you stronger.

"It also helps that I have a great NZ [New Zealand] support crew, friends, family and wife.

"I also want to thank my trainer Rich and almost all of the 500 strong Toro Rosso staff who I have stood beside and have enjoyed working with this season, all of the engineering team, the mechanics, marketing, PR, logistics, hospitality crew, factory staff and of course all at Honda Racing.

"I really do appreciate the support I have received from fans across the globe this year, I still have plenty more pages to write in my story and I will make the most of the opportunity's in the next chapter."

Hartley's options for 2019 are currently unclear.

He was previously linked to IndyCar outfit Chip Ganassi Racing, before the Toro Rosso switch allowed him to get out of a signed IndyCar contract for the 2018 F1 season.

His former employer Porsche left the WEC at the end of 2017 following the dieselgate scandal, but will join Formula E for the 2019/20 season.

shares
comments
Max Verstappen: I won't look like an idiot in F1 community service

Previous article

Max Verstappen: I won't look like an idiot in F1 community service

Next article

Haas F1 team will not appeal against Force India protest verdict

Haas F1 team will not appeal against Force India protest verdict
Load comments

About this article

Series Formula 1
Drivers Brendon Hartley
Teams AlphaTauri
Author Tom Errington
Why Bottas feels the time has come to be “more selfish” Plus

Why Bottas feels the time has come to be “more selfish”

We’ve seen five distinct versions of Valtteri Bottas at Mercedes as he’s tried to fulfil his own ambitions while being a consummate team player – two difficult, competing missions which have been challenging to reconcile. Speaking exclusively to STUART CODLING, Bottas explains his highs and lows… and why he still believes he can be world champion

Does Aston have a case in F1 2021’s big technical row? Plus

Does Aston have a case in F1 2021’s big technical row?

Aston Martin claims Formula 1’s latest technical tweaks have cost it competitiveness – and that it’s the innocent victim of a regulatory stitch-up aimed at pegging back Mercedes. But is any of this actually true? It depends on who you ask, says STUART CODLING

Formula 1
May 14, 2021
How long can F1 2021's brewing title battle stay clean? Plus

How long can F1 2021's brewing title battle stay clean?

Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen have been evenly matched so far in the 2021 Formula 1 title race. Neither has been afraid to get aggressive against each other on track, teeing up an enthralling contest as the year unwinds. But is their rivalry destined to end in broken shards of carbon fibre?

Formula 1
May 13, 2021
What the Spain result tells F1 about the next phase of the Mercedes/Red Bull title fight Plus

What the Spain result tells F1 about the next phase of the Mercedes/Red Bull title fight

OPINION: Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes have recovered from their pre-season woes to take three wins from the opening four races of 2021. But each time Red Bull and Max Verstappen have pushed them hard. So, what clues did the latest round of that battle – the Spanish Grand Prix – tease about the next stage of the season?

Formula 1
May 12, 2021
How Brabham’s one-hit wonder was boxed into a corner Plus

How Brabham’s one-hit wonder was boxed into a corner

The Brabham BT46B raced once, won once, then vanished – or did it? STUART CODLING reveals the story of the car which was never actually banned…

Formula 1
May 11, 2021
The changes Barcelona needs to provide a modern-day F1 spectacle Plus

The changes Barcelona needs to provide a modern-day F1 spectacle

Formula 1’s visits to Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya over recent years have been met with familiar criticisms despite tweaks here and there to the track to improve racing. With the 2021 Spanish Grand Prix largely going the same way, proper solutions need to be followed to achieve F1’s wider targets

Formula 1
May 10, 2021
Spanish Grand Prix Driver Ratings Plus

Spanish Grand Prix Driver Ratings

Often described as Formula 1's laboratory, the Circuit de Catalunya-Barcelona gave the clearest demonstration yet of the pecking order in 2021. And it's the key discrepancies from that order which illuminate who is excelling, and who needs to hit the reset button

Formula 1
May 10, 2021
How Red Bull’s deja vu set Hamilton on the winning path in Spain Plus

How Red Bull’s deja vu set Hamilton on the winning path in Spain

An aggressive first corner move from Max Verstappen appeared to have set the Red Bull driver on course for victory in the Spanish Grand Prix. But canny strategy from Mercedes - combined with the absence of Red Bull's number two from the lead group - allowed Lewis Hamilton to pull off a demoralising reversal

Formula 1
May 10, 2021