Ferrari: Leclerc driveshaft issue may be unrelated to Monaco qualifying crash

Ferrari boss Mattia Binotto believes the driveshaft issue that ruled Charles Leclerc out of Sunday's Formula 1 Monaco Grand Prix could be "completely unrelated" to his crash at the end of qualifying.

Ferrari: Leclerc driveshaft issue may be unrelated to Monaco qualifying crash

Leclerc took a shock pole position for Ferrari on Saturday in unusual circumstances after crashing at the end of Q3, bringing the session to an early end.

The heavy crash at the exit of Swimming Pool left Leclerc and Ferrari concerned about damage sustained to his gearbox, only for checks to show that "no serious damage" had been sustained.

Ferrari announced on Sunday morning that it would not be changing Leclerc's gearbox, keeping him on pole, but when it fired up the car ahead of the race, an issue quickly emerged.

The team revealed a problem with the left driveshaft had been found on Leclerc's car, meaning he was unable to start the race at all.

Ferrari F1 chief Binotto said after the race that the team was still working to fully understand the issue, and that it could be totally unrelated to Leclerc's Q3 crash.

"We need to fully understand what happened," Binotto said on Sky Sports F1.

"The failure is on the driveshaft into the hub on the left-hand side. So it's not a gearbox problem we had. The gearbox had been inspected yesterday evening, it has been reviewed, and I think the gearbox was OK for the race.

"What happened is on the opposite side compared to the accident. So it may be completely unrelated to the accident.

"But something which we need to carefully understand and analyse, and we have no answer right now."

Mattia Binotto, Team Principal, Ferrari

Mattia Binotto, Team Principal, Ferrari

Photo by: Andy Hone / Motorsport Images

Asked if the issue had emerged for Ferrari before, Binotto replied: "No. Let's wait and see. I think we can only analyse the pieces carefully on the data, try to have a clear explanation."

Leclerc said after failing to make the start that it was "difficult to take", having sensed an opportunity to score his first victory since the 2019 Italian Grand Prix.

Binotto was adamant on Saturday that Ferrari would not take a risk with the gearbox on Leclerc's car, fearing a retirement, but made clear that the driveshaft issue was unrelated.

"As I said, it has not been a gearbox failure," Binotto said.

"There was no gamble on the gearbox. We are confident the gearbox would have been OK for the race.

"But again, what happened needs an explanation, that we do not have right now. As I said, we will need to analyse."

shares
comments

Related video

Sainz: Monaco GP podium "doesn't taste as good as it should"

Previous article

Sainz: Monaco GP podium "doesn't taste as good as it should"

Next article

Gasly and Vettel could have ‘ended up in the harbour’ in Monaco F1 GP

Gasly and Vettel could have ‘ended up in the harbour’ in Monaco F1 GP
Load comments
The F1 champion who became an Indy king in his second career Plus

The F1 champion who became an Indy king in his second career

Emerson Fittipaldi’s decision to go racing with his brother led to him falling out of F1, but he bloomed again on the IndyCar scene. NIGEL ROEBUCK considers a career of two halves

Why Mercedes is pleased to be in the Hungary hunt at a 'Red Bull track' Plus

Why Mercedes is pleased to be in the Hungary hunt at a 'Red Bull track'

Mercedes ended Friday practice at the Hungaroring with a clear gap to Red Bull thanks to Valtteri Bottas’s pace in topping FP2. But there are other reasons why the Black Arrows squad feels satisfied with its progress so far at a track many Formula 1 observers reckon favours Red Bull overall

How Red Bull endured its second car crash in two weeks Plus

How Red Bull endured its second car crash in two weeks

OPINION: Red Bull was justified to be upset that Lewis Hamilton survived his British GP clash with Max Verstappen and went on to win. But its attempts to lobby the FIA to reconsider the severity of Hamilton's in-race penalty were always likely to backfire, and have only succeeded in creating a PR disaster that will distract from its on-track efforts

The ‘screaming’ F1 engine future that may not be out of reach Plus

The ‘screaming’ F1 engine future that may not be out of reach

OPINION: It wasn't just the Verstappen/Hamilton clash that had the Red Bull and Mercedes bosses at loggerheads at Silverstone, with the nature of Formula 1's 2025 engines also subject for disagreement. But hopes to have loud, emotive engines that are also environmentally friendly don't have to be opposed

Formula 1
Jul 29, 2021
The drivers that need to strike gold before F1's summer break Plus

The drivers that need to strike gold before F1's summer break

OPINION: Formula 1 is about to break up for summer 2021, with the title battles finely poised. But it’s not just the latest round of Max Verstappen vs Lewis Hamilton that will be worth watching this weekend in Hungary, as plenty of drivers are eying big results to change the stories of their seasons so far

Formula 1
Jul 28, 2021
How Lotus F1 uncovered, then squandered its last ‘unfair advantage’ Plus

How Lotus F1 uncovered, then squandered its last ‘unfair advantage’

Cast in the mould of its founder Colin Chapman, Lotus was powerful and daring but 
flawed – as it proved through further soaring peaks and painful troughs into the 1980s. DAMIEN SMITH examines a game-changing era

Formula 1
Jul 27, 2021
The core problems Yas Marina’s long-awaited tweaks won't address Plus

The core problems Yas Marina’s long-awaited tweaks won't address

OPINION: Changes to the layout of Abu Dhabi’s circuit aim to reverse the trend of insipid Formula 1 races there - the promoter has even described one of the new corners as “iconic”. And that, argues STUART CODLING, is one of this venue’s abiding failings

Formula 1
Jul 26, 2021
How Ferrari offered Britain's next F1 prospect what Red Bull couldn't Plus

How Ferrari offered Britain's next F1 prospect what Red Bull couldn't

Last year's Formula 2 runner-up Callum Ilott could be on his way to becoming the first Briton to contest a grand prix in an Alfa Romeo since Reg Parnell in 1950. But, says OLEG KARPOV, the Ferrari Driver Academy protege is having to temper his ambition at the moment – outwardly at least…

Formula 1
Jul 25, 2021