BAR Decide not to Challenge Appeal

BAR-Honda will miss the Spanish and Monaco Grands Prix, having decided not to challenge in a civil court the decision of the FIA's court of appeal to ban the team for two races

BAR Decide not to Challenge Appeal

"In the wake of the decision of the FIA's international court of appeal yesterday," BAR said in a statement, "and having considering the extraordinary complex legal framework, a summary of the legal position is as follows:

"BAR-Honda has looked at all practical ways of immediately challenging the decision. The central issue is one of jurisdiction," the team said in a statement. "Jurisdiction in Europe is governed by European rules, which say that the defendant party has the right to be sued in the territory in which it is based.

"Upon receiving legal advised in all relevant jurisdictions, the conclusion is that nothing can be done to enable the team to race this weekend.

"BAR-Honda has considered whether to pursue further action which might enable it to compete at Monaco. On balance, the team has decided that challenge the sport's governing body would cause a level of disruption and damage to the sport which is not in the best interest of everyone involved.

"BAR-Honda will be discussing the ramifications of the court of appeal verdict with the other teams and many factors involved in the sport.

"The FIA international court of appeal in its own judgement was unable to prove that the team acted in bad faith. BAR-Honda therefore remains unclear as to the basis for such a severe penalty.

"The team rigorously contests any insinuation that could potentially tarnish its reputation and good record, something that is of fundamental importance to the whole organisation and its partners.

"In an effort to provide the greatest possible visibility to the outside world of this case, BAR-Honda today will publish its entire submission to the FIA international court of appeal on its website for anyone interested in it to examing it."

BAR have also been excluded retroactively from the San Marino Grand Prix. Briton Jenson Button had finished third and his Japanese team mate Takuma Sato fifth at Imola last month.

On Thursday the British-based team said they were appalled by the decision, were considering their legal options and still hoped to race this weekend in Barcelona.

The team will now lose valuable running time, and they expressed their concern about losing ground to their rivals given the 30-day testing agreement.

BAR said they did not rule out testing for more than 30 days, but admitted they would only do it with the consent from the rest of the teams involved in the agreement.

shares
comments
Schumacher: Button Battle Would be Fun
Previous article

Schumacher: Button Battle Would be Fun

Next article

Fry: Ban will Cost BAR Millions

Fry: Ban will Cost BAR Millions
How a bad car creates the ultimate engineering challenge Plus

How a bad car creates the ultimate engineering challenge

While creating a car that is woefully off the pace is a nightmare scenario for any team, it inadvertently generates the test any engineering department would relish: to turn it into a winner. As Mercedes takes on that challenge in Formula 1 this season, McLaren’s former head of vehicle engineering reveals how the team pulled of the feat in 2009 with Lewis Hamilton

The under-fire F1 driver fighting for his future Plus

The under-fire F1 driver fighting for his future

Personable, articulate 
and devoid of the usual
 racing driver airs and graces,
 Nicholas Latifi is the last Formula 1 driver you’d expect to receive death threats, but such was the toxic legacy of his part in last year’s explosive season finale. And now, as ALEX KALINAUCKAS explains, he faces a battle to keep his place on the F1 grid…

Formula 1
Aug 13, 2022
The strange tyre travails faced by F1’s past heroes Plus

The strange tyre travails faced by F1’s past heroes

Modern grand prix drivers like to think the tyres they work with are unusually difficult and temperamental. But, says  MAURICE HAMILTON, their predecessors faced many of the same challenges – and some even stranger…

Formula 1
Aug 12, 2022
The returning fan car revolution that could suit F1 Plus

The returning fan car revolution that could suit F1

Gordon Murray's Brabham BT46B 'fan car' was Formula 1 engineering at perhaps its most outlandish. Now fan technology has been successfully utilised on the McMurtry Speirling at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, could it be adopted by grand prix racing once again?

Formula 1
Aug 11, 2022
Hamilton's first experience of turning silver into gold Plus

Hamilton's first experience of turning silver into gold

The seven-time Formula 1 world champion has been lumbered with a duff car before the 2022 Mercedes. Back in 2009, McLaren’s alchemists transformed the disastrous MP4-24 into a winning car with Lewis Hamilton at the wheel. And now it’s happening again at his current team, but can the rate of progress be matched this year?

Formula 1
Aug 11, 2022
Why few could blame Leclerc for following the example of Hamilton’s exit bombshell Plus

Why few could blame Leclerc for following the example of Hamilton’s exit bombshell

OPINION: Ferrari's numerous strategy blunders, as well as some of his own mistakes, have cost Charles Leclerc dearly in the 2022 Formula 1 title battle in the first half of the season. Though he is locked into a deal with Ferrari, few could blame Leclerc if he ultimately wanted to look elsewhere - just as Lewis Hamilton did with McLaren 10 years prior

Formula 1
Aug 9, 2022
The other McLaren exile hoping to follow Perez's path to a top F1 seat Plus

The other McLaren exile hoping to follow Perez's path to a top F1 seat

After being ditched by McLaren earlier in his F1 career Sergio Perez fought his way back into a seat with a leading team. BEN EDWARDS thinks the same could be happening to another member of the current grid

Formula 1
Aug 8, 2022
How studying Schumacher helped make Coulthard a McLaren F1 mainstay Plus

How studying Schumacher helped make Coulthard a McLaren F1 mainstay

Winner of 13 grands prix including Monaco and survivor of a life-changing plane crash, David Coulthard could be forgiven for having eased into a quiet retirement – but, as MARK GALLAGHER explains, in fact he’s busier than ever, running an award-winning media company and championing diversity in motor racing. Not bad for someone who, by his own admission, wasn’t quite the fastest driver of his generation…

Formula 1
Aug 7, 2022