Subscribe

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Alonso commits to Aston Martin with new multi-year F1 deal

Aston Martin has announced Fernando Alonso is staying at the Formula 1 team on a fresh multi-year deal.

On Thursday afternoon Aston Martin ended speculation about the two-time F1 world champion's future with the team by announcing a multi-year contract extension for the Spaniard, tying him to the Silverstone outfit until the end of 2026.

Alonso's contract was up for renewal this year, which prompted extensive speculation about the 42-year-old’s future as Red Bull and Mercedes also have seats up for grabs amid a wildly open driver market.

Alonso's domino is now the latest to fall, with the Spaniard convinced by the Lawrence Stroll-owned team to stay on two more years.

“Securing Fernando’s long-term future with Aston Martin Aramco is fantastic news," said team boss Mike Krack.

"We have built a strong working relationship over the last 18 months and we share the same determination to see this project succeed.

"We have been in constant dialogue over the last few months and Fernando has been true to his word: when he decided he wanted to continue racing, he talked to us first. Fernando has shown he believes in us, and we believe in him.

Fernando Alonso, Aston Martin AMR24

Fernando Alonso, Aston Martin AMR24

Photo by: Mark Sutton / Motorsport Images

"Fernando is hungry for success, driving better than ever, is fitter than ever, and is completely dedicated to making Aston Martin Aramco a competitive force."

Significantly, the new deal means Alonso will stay with Aston Martin into the all-new technical regulations for 2026, when Aston Martin will become a Honda works partner.

It suggests Alonso's troubled past with the Japanese manufacturer during their McLaren days is water under the bridge.

"This multi-year agreement with Fernando takes us into 2026 when we begin our works power unit partnership with Honda," Krack added.

"We look forward to creating more incredible memories and achieving further success together.”

In recent weeks Alonso had already hinted that he would not be influenced by other silly season moves to weigh up his option for the future, which including retiring from F1 for a second time.

Fernando Alonso, Aston Martin F1 Team

Fernando Alonso, Aston Martin F1 Team

Photo by: Zak Mauger / Motorsport Images

"I chose when to go from a team, when to join a team, I chose when to stop F1. And I chose when to come back," he said.

"Now I will choose what I do next year. I will not follow what others do, and they dictate my destiny. I will do it on my own. For good or for bad, this is the way I am."

Read Also:
 

Be part of the Autosport community

Join the conversation
Previous article Horner expects Ricciardo to "bounce back" from rough F1 2024 start
Next article 10 things to watch for at Formula 1’s Miami Grand Prix

Top Comments

There are no comments at the moment. Would you like to write one?

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe