Paul di Resta has welcomed the return of Adrian Sutil to the Force India Formula 1 squad this season.
Force India confirmed on Thursday that Sutil had beaten Jules Bianchi to its vacant seat.
Di Resta previously partnered the German at the squad in 2011.
"I welcome Adrian back," said di Resta at the Barcelona test. "I said whoever the team chose I'd be supportive.
"Jules was close to us as well and you've got to feel a little bit sorry for where he is, but I think Adrian and I will work well together.
"We're good friends and will push the team on. The good relationship will start from where it left off in 2011."
Although di Resta compared favourably to his more experienced team-mate during his rookie F1 season in 2011, he still finished behind Sutil in the standings, with 27 points to 42.
Di Resta knows that, with two years of F1 experience now behind him, he will need to beat Sutil in 2013.
"At the end of the day it is competitive and I want to come out on top of him," he added.