If Formula 1 wants to switch to larger wheel rims and low-profile tyres as trialled by Lotus in last week's Silverstone test, fine. It's a perfectly valid thing to do.
For the 14 laps that the experimental tyres were bolted onto Charles Pic's car, they didn't look out of place although, from a personal perspective, they didn't make a great deal of difference either way.
Having seen both the car itself and photographs and stared at them extensively, I can see why many prefer the low-profile rubber. Certainly, the balance of opinion appears to be in favour of making a change to a wheel rim/tyre profile that more closely matches the more aspirational end of the production-car market.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.