On the day Kimi Raikkonen clinched the world championship in Brazil - October 21, 2007 - 18-year-old Valtteri Bottas notched up his first victories in single-seater racing racing in the Formula Renault 2.0 Northern European Cup at Hockenheim.
During the intervening years, it became increasingly obvious that Bottas would eventually succeed Raikkonen as F1's resident flying Finn.
Perhaps the early seconds of the British Grand Prix, when Raikkonen was on his way to a 47G meeting with the wall on the Wellington Straight and Bottas was jumping from 14th to ninth to lay the foundations for a career-best second place, was the moment the baton was passed from one to the other?
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.